Crop problem

tobytobes

In the Brooder
9 Years
Sep 3, 2010
Ok here's the story. I have a 7 yr. old Black Star hen that had sour crop about a month ago. I work for a local small animal vet so I took her to be seen. She prescribed an anti fungal and it cleared up. I let her back out with her flock mates and a few days later her crop was very full and sour again. I dumped her out, put her back on meds and a restricted diet of yogurt, applesauce and scrambled eggs. The meds cleared up the sour crop and because she didn't approve of the menu and wasn't eating much her crop was virtually empty each morning except for a small amount of gritty stuff that I could feel. I let her back with her flock mates again and sure enough in a few days she was full and sour again and I had to dump her out. Spoke to my vet and we decided that she must have a blockage and we would do surgery to remove it. During surgery there really wasn't much in there except some seed, corn and a few mealworms that were very old since her diet has been restricted for quite a while. No big wad of grass or anything really suspicious. So I took her home and once again had her on a restricted diet of soft foods that should easily pass through and gave her a few pieces of bread to hide her antibiotic and a medicine to help push stuff through. All was well for the first week and this morning her crop was really full again and I had to dump her. Not sure what else to do. Can the crop just stop working? I seem to have tried everything right down to surgery. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Kim

Anyone? I can't be the only one who has had this problem. Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

Hi,
I would put 1-2 tablespoons of Apple Cider Vinegar per gallon of water. It should help with an infection. Do not put it in a metal waterer. Keep this up forever, or for a few weeks.
Thank you,
The Crazy Serama Lady.

Hi,
Thanks for responding. I have been putting ACV in their waterers since way before this problem occured. The waterers are plastic. Have been doing it for about 6 months. I use the ACV with " the mother" in it and that's all she has access to.

My hen had the same problem. Tons of liquid came out of her when I picked her up. She was quite sick, very listless, wouldn't eat, seemed to be choking. But she got better in 24 hours after this treatment: Buy some probiotic capsules in the pharmacy (expensive brand is Align - get the generic equivalent). Open a capsule and put half of the powder into a little yoghurt. I used mostly plain yoghurt with a little bit of raspberry yoghurt to hide the medicine taste. She loved it and ate it up. If yours won't eat it, get it in her mouth by using a little shovel made from a straw or an eyedropper. Repeat before bedtime and do it again next day. My hen was better the next day but I did give her more. I hope it works for you.

Thanks so much for the advice. I'll get some of the probiotics tomorrow and give it a try.

I have no experience at all but I have read on here people using Monistat for sour crop with success after failed attempts with other things. Maybe worth a search :)

Again, I am not familiar nor do I know if it would be used under your circumstance

I really hope she gets better for you!

Thanks for the reply. I have heard about the use of Monistat too. Her crop isn't sour though. I think it's not working properly. My vet prescribed an anti fungal that cleared up the sour crop weeks ago. Now it just seems that the food won't move through. There's no impaction since we did surgery to clear her crop. My vet thinks that the muscles in the crop aren't working. I gave her a dose of reglan last night. Hopefully her crop is empty this morning. Thanks again for response.
Kim

Back
Top Bottom