Crop surgery on week old chick?

Cragg Klefor

Crowing
5 Years
Apr 14, 2017
County Kilkenny, Ireland
Hi guys,
I have a chick who has a piece of bedding stuck in his crop. He's in discomfort. I can clearly feel the piece of bedding and I don't see how it can go anywhere. I am wondering if any of you experienced people have successfully removed something from a chicks crop and If so, how did you do it? I'm familiar with crop surgery on older chickens but regarding both layers of skin etc how in earth would I go about it?!? This is day 3 with this issue, the piece of bedding (miscanthus) is still there and hasn't softened or changed. It is from one side of his crop to the other so quite large. He was with Mama hen, he's now inside with a buddy. He is eating and drinking but as I said he is in discomfort. I won't be culling.
Thanks in advance!

He’s eating and drinking, so that’s great. You seem to have knowledge about chickens, but are you offering chick grit? Since he’s eating, mix some in his food and give periodic crop massages to help break up that grass. I would hate for you to have to do a crop surgery on a chick.

He’s eating and drinking, so that’s great. You seem to have knowledge about chickens, but are you offering chick grit? Since he’s eating, mix some in his food and give periodic crop massages to help break up that grass. I would hate for you to have to do a crop surgery on a chick.
Thank you for your reply!
Yes he is getting grit, and crop massages, although the massaging is inclined to hurt him as the piece of bedding is hard and sharp, but I'm trying to work the massaging.
He's still hanging in there, but is almost silently chirping continuously so ....

Again, thank you!!

Back
Top Bottom