Crop the size of tennis ball! Help!

13ChickenGirl

Songster
May 20, 2017
Hi, I'm questioning sour crop on my hen, she is small and has a huge crop about the size of a tennis ball. It is squishy and I can feel stuff inside. She is pooping and eating and drinking fine. Is this sour crop?

Are you feeling grit or food inside of the crop rather than the crop just feeling squishy? Your hen may actually have a sour crop, a sour crop is more squishy feeling than a crop impaction and you can usually feel grit or food in the crop. Does your hen appear off color? Does she have bad breath yet from the crop? I'm surprised that your hen is still eating if she has sour crop. Do you have an avian veterinarian nearby? He or she could probably provide you with the best information possible about caring for a chicken with sour crop. :)

Are you feeling grit or food inside of the crop rather than the crop just feeling squishy? Your hen may actually have a sour crop, a sour crop is more squishy feeling than a crop impaction and you can usually feel grit or food in the crop. Does your hen appear off color? Does she have bad breath yet from the crop? I'm surprised that your hen is still eating if she has sour crop. Do you have an avian veterinarian nearby? He or she could probably provide you with the best information possible about caring for a chicken with sour crop. :)
I feel a bit of food inside. She acts completely normal except the abnormal crop size. I will smell her breath in the morning.

Back
Top Bottom