Cross Beak? Please Help....

katherinehpr

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 7, 2013
Michigan

I have a 5 day old D' Uccle chick that from the day it was brought home with 4 other chicks same age 2 SLW & 1 other D' Uccle - the other D' Uccle kept pecking it only in the beak/nostrils. The chick's nostrils stated to get a little red and rough so I separated them for a day or 2 and then put them together again - same thing happened all over. Today I was examining the poor little pecked on one and found the it's beak does not line up - bottom beak is a tiny bit shorter and not aligned to the sides of the top beak. Is this the beginnings of Cross Beak? Has anyone had the type of pecking problem? I am sad to see it's beak does not look like the others.
hit.gif
Thank You for any help......

hi I have a cross beak too! mine is almost 51/2 months old now. with a little help from me she leads a happy normal life. first off the crossing of the beak gets worse as they get older. so to help you MUST start trimming the beak around two months of age or before. I trim BOTH upper and lower beak to prevent over growth very important. use extreme caution when trimming the lower portion of the beak the tonque is there. I rotate about every month upper than lower. second feed her separately if she is like mine she gets pecked on so at least give her a separate plate.third mash her food you can use regular chick feed and just add water then mash it up.its much easier to eat that way. fourth add some vitamins to her mash. this will help her gain weight and stay healthy. these are the steps I take to keep mine healthy. there was a time I thought she could just eat the feed without mashing it but she became terribly thin. so now after feeding mash she has put on weight and doing much better. the once a month trimming of the beak is VERY important as it can grow out of control very quickly. I'd start trimming her at about two months old or maybe sooner. do not worry if it might bleed because sometimes it happens accidentally. don't worry your bird can lead a happy healthy life with your help! just don't breed her as its a genetic defect.like I mentioned it WILL get worse with age so don't be surprised. other birds might pick on her keep some Peck no more on her back and it will keep the others away and from pecking her.I hope this helps and wish you the best. any questions I'm happy to help just pm me. good luck

Thanks so much! Of course this is my baby - from all the handling her/him so much - with all the pecking and trying to figure out what was wrong- he/she is already attached to me and I to he/she. This is the first cross beak problem I have experienced. :(
Thanks again for your help and for reaching out to me :)

your very welcome! you will see with a little help from you she will lead a happy healthy life. don't worry too much she will grow and prosper just fine with your help. I wish I could show you a picture of my special girl but sadly I'm posting from my cell phone and I can't for some reason insert pictures. :( I tried but no go. anyway if you ever have a need or question feel happy to pm me I'll help if I can. enjoy watching your baby grow. she will bring great joy to your life! I first discovered mine had a problem as a baby. the breeder said to return it for another but I could not do that because she would cull my babies so I kept her. I learned how to care for her from my new breeder and reading stories from this forum.I was like you devasted at first. but I believe God put her in my life for a reason and I've came to accept her handicap. if ever I can help you in any way please ask. remember please don't be surprised that it worsens as they age. I'm still wondering when it will finally stop worsening.mines 51/2 months.I guess it stops when they are full grown at least I hope. when she's about 2 months old the trimmings will really help her out.God bless. and best of luck.

Back
Top Bottom