Cross Beak?

It's very good she's able to eat on her own. Is there a possibility that you can separate her and another chick or two in a place so she doesn't get left alone? That way she can take as long as she needs to and not get left alone?
I don't have another pen at this time. I try to spend about 2hrs with them when I get home and feed them so I stay with her till she goes off to do other things. If I'm there and talking to her she is fine. It takes her about the 2hrs to get full. I just can't spend that time with her in the mornings due to having to get to work. I've been encouraging a few of the ones that seam to have imprinted on me to stick around with her before I leave in the mornings. They do for the most part but I'm sure they don't stick with her for the 2hrs she needs.

I don't have another pen at this time. I try to spend about 2hrs with them when I get home and feed them so I stay with her till she goes off to do other things. If I'm there and talking to her she is fine. It takes her about the 2hrs to get full. I just can't spend that time with her in the mornings due to having to get to work. I've been encouraging a few of the ones that seam to have imprinted on me to stick around with her before I leave in the mornings. They do for the most part but I'm sure they don't stick with her for the 2hrs she needs.
If it takes her that long to eat, I'd think the other chicks should occasionally come in to eat as well. Do you keep the waterer in the same place? That might get them to come in more often.

Eek, this looks like a bad one...

I would trim back the top beak but not the bottom. It should be longer for her to be able to scoop the food into her beak, just make sure the sides of her beak don’t curl in. This is what I use for my crossbeak girls-

Avid Power Grinding Tool

If you need any help with how to trim a beak, feel free to tag me. I hope you know that no matter what you do- cull or keep- you have already done amazing, just for giving her a chance in the beginning.

Back
Top Bottom