CROSS BREADING

It all depends on if your EE rooster carry's the blue egg gene or not. It is possible he doesn't. If he does, any female offspring from the Wellie would lay an olive color and from the Delaware a green. There will be a percentage that won't lay olive or green at all, depending on how dilute the EE's blue gene is.

ITS FUNNY MY EE IS WHITE WITH SILVER EDGED FEATHERS AND HIS LEGS ARE FEATHERED I QUESTIONED MEYERS HATCHERY ABOUT IT AND THEY SAID HE IS A HIBRED SO IM NOT SURE ALL BUT 7 OF MY BIRDS CAME FROM MEYERS HATCHERY I WAS TOLD THAT HATCHERY BIRDS DONT GO BROODY WE WILL HAVE TO WAIT AND SEE NEXT SPRING

IF MY WELSUMMER COCK CROSSES WITH MY AMERICANA DOES THIS NOW MAKE YHEM HIBIRDS OR THEY ARE NOT PURE BREEDS ANY LONGER DID I CREAT A MUT SO TO SPEAK

There was a couple of questions there:

1. Your EE is crossed with something that has feathered legs. I'd wager there's a marans back in his history somewhere
2. Hatchery birds can and will go broody. It all depends on the breed. For instance, Brahmas, hatchery or not, are more likely to go broody than leghorns.
3. If you cross a wellie and anything then it becomes a hybrid or a cross breed.
4. Did you get your Americana from Meyers? What type is it? I'm concerned because while Meyers does sell true Ameraucana, (note spelling) they also sell AmerIcana which are little more than easter eggers with a fancy name.

There was a couple of questions there:

1. Your EE is crossed with something that has feathered legs. I'd wager there's a marans back in his history somewhere
2. Hatchery birds can and will go broody. It all depends on the breed. For instance, Brahmas, hatchery or not, are more likely to go broody than leghorns.
3. If you cross a wellie and anything then it becomes a hybrid or a cross breed.
4. Did you get your Americana from Meyers? What type is it? I'm concerned because while Meyers does sell true Ameraucana, (note spelling) they also sell AmerIcana which are little more than easter eggers with a fancy name.
Just to clarify, Meyer does sell Easter Eggers, not “AmerIcanas”

You could get almost anything from each hybrid chick, and each chick may be different. Mixing breeds isn't like mixing paint -- you don't get a consistent half from each parent as if you mixed yellow and blue liquids in a blender to get a green liquid. It's more like gently stirring different colored pastes with a stick for just a few minutes. There will be some areas of yellow, some areas of blue, and some areas where the pastes were well stirred and created green. If you put that layer of paste down, then take a cookie cutter and cut out little individual circles, those little cutouts represent the genetic combining of each chick. Some chicks will 100% take after their "yellow" parent, some after their "blue" parent, and most will have an irregular mix of yellow, blue, and green. So basically you get a totally unpredictable mix.

Back
Top Bottom