CROSS BREADING

There was a couple of questions there:

1. Your EE is crossed with something that has feathered legs. I'd wager there's a marans back in his history somewhere
2. Hatchery birds can and will go broody. It all depends on the breed. For instance, Brahmas, hatchery or not, are more likely to go broody than leghorns.
3. If you cross a wellie and anything then it becomes a hybrid or a cross breed.
4. Did you get your Americana from Meyers? What type is it? I'm concerned because while Meyers does sell true Ameraucana, (note spelling) they also sell AmerIcana which are little more than easter eggers with a fancy name.
The Ameraucana is a blue Ameraucana 22.70 each said it is a rare breed

You could get almost anything from each hybrid chick, and each chick may be different. Mixing breeds isn't like mixing paint -- you don't get a consistent half from each parent as if you mixed yellow and blue liquids in a blender to get a green liquid. It's more like gently stirring different colored pastes with a stick for just a few minutes. There will be some areas of yellow, some areas of blue, and some areas where the pastes were well stirred and created green. If you put that layer of paste down, then take a cookie cutter and cut out little individual circles, those little cutouts represent the genetic combining of each chick. Some chicks will 100% take after their "yellow" parent, some after their "blue" parent, and most will have an irregular mix of yellow, blue, and green. So basically you get a totally unpredictable mix.
Thank you here's what im trying to do. i saw sky blue eggs with speckles almost like a Robbins egg so that is my ultimate goal .

Thank you here's what im trying to do. i saw sky blue eggs with speckles almost like a Robbins egg so that is my ultimate goal .

That will be challenging to get on a consistent basis. There are many breeds that have speckled eggs from some individuals, but few where the speckling is consistent across all the hens. Usually the speckling is even variable from the same hen on different days. There are breeders out there that specialize in creating unique egg colors, and they get an occasional hen that will consistently lay a blue or green egg with brown speckles, but it is more of an individual trait, and uncommon.

That said, I wish you luck. It will be a fun project, and I hope you get the results you want. If not, at least you will get some fantastic eggs while trying. I have a little Silverudds Blue hen that lays lovely green eggs, and more than 90% of the time they are speckled. It's a treat to see them.

Back
Top Bottom