Cross Breeding For The New and improved.... Join the Group!

Kristian

Songster
12 Years
Feb 27, 2010
Miami, Florida
I have 150-Brown Leghorns, 2-Australorp's, and 4 Ameraucanas. I have been looking for ideas for new crosses for white eggs, brown eggs and just plain Giant eggs. But I would breed not only to get big eggs but to get a persistent amount of eggs at least 4-7/per week(im looking for the diffrent new type of hybrids that will suit each owner to his or her own needs. I am also interseted in breeding to show new kinds of mixed breeds not only for eggs but for looks and friendliness.

Does any one have any advise or ideas that I should know. If we can make a good strong group I would more then gladly share our outcome with each other so that we may all learn about producing
fl.gif
THE BEST EGG LAYERS Ect...!
Who's in?
List Of Members#

1.Kristian
2.KatyTheChickenLady
3.chickenclarence
4.Illia
5.Freeholder
6.SilkieTime
7.4 Love of Baby Chickens
8.HBuehler
9.muscovychef
10.kathyinmo
11.bahamas
12.Nefertiti

Last edited:
i thought the big chicken industries already did this? i mean that's how the hybrid sex-links were developed...iknow there's charts out there to show you how they made the red and black and other crosses, and you can do the same in your backyard flock.
smile.png

good luck!

I know this but theirs still alote out their that is not discoverd, and theirs alote of other people out their that do not know alote about hybrids>I made this topic for the chicken breeders out their that whant to try out new ideas that have not yet been tested.
Quote:

Although your "Americanas" are not Ameraucanas, they will help you in your goal for a very large egg. My Easter Egger (what you actually have) lays HUGE eggs, but not all that often, so I would agree that crossing a good, large sized egg laying EE with something very productive would help.

Personally I'm not looking for perfect layers though. I don't want a hen just plain lays a bunch of eggs - We already have plenty of hybrids for that in industries and in backyards in general. I look for quality in certain breeds and eggs, such as the darkest Marans egg, richest Ameraucana egg, or bluest Araucana egg.

Thank you. I did want to check out blck copper marans becouse their egg color is a very precious and unique shade of dark chocolate.
Quote:

I will gladly join your xbreeding for egg layers group!!!
I have to go feed my birds right now but will catch you up on where I'm at and where I want to go when I get back!!!
thanks!

Hybrids will be your best egg layers , there are others that are doing this check out Braggs Buffs , another place for jumbo eggs is sand hill his delaware were bred for jumbo eggs. Many of the older breeds lay large eggs langshan . The trouble with very large eggs is egg binding and the eggs dont hatch do to double yolks. There are so many combo you could do.
I understand you want to create your own breed,
But if I can suggest there are so many breeds in danger Why not focus on one of those you can create your own strain, or work on a new varation .

lol ! ! !
not everybody gets the need to play creator . . . mwahahaha . . .
just kidding around!
we are doing this because we WANT to; it's a hobby, it's a goal, for some it's even a living . . . there are lots of cool threads for heritage breeds, hatchery stock, endangered breeds, Delewares etc.
This cool OP started a thread for those of us who want to experiment and share or experiences with others who are doing the same.

Thank you very much for expressing both my and you point of view. I think that this thread is very inportant for those who want to share their experiencess and each of our unique point of view. I do think that preserving a pure line of breed is necessary, but I also think that exploring new options and ideas is necessary for us to grow in knowledge.
Quote:

Back
Top Bottom