Cross / Scissor beak

VandyClark

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 14, 2012
Woodville, TX
I've been doing a research on the cross beak/ scissor beak deformity as I have 10 wk old EE that was normal until about 5 or 6 wks old & developed the condition. From what I've read, it sounds like her prognosis could be ok for a while, so long as she can eat & drink, which she seems very good at so far! I know many cull these chicks but I'd already grown attached to her of course! I don't breed my chickens or sell their eggs- so no worries there. I'm trying to find more comprehensive advise on keeping her healthy & happy for the time she may have- does anyone know of a resource or thread? I'm just finding bits & pieces... She's also quite "flighty" so i'm hoping she'll get more used to me having to handle her... Thank you!

RedfogsFlock

Songster
10 Years
Jan 17, 2010
Wittmann, AZ
I had a crossed beak chick, named her Nemo. I fed her spaghetti noodles at first and runny cooked oatmeal. As she got older I made sure their food dish was deep so she could slide her whole beak into the layena. She lived to be a little over a year. She was a good hen. :D I have pictures of her on my page in the one album I have. :)

Last edited:

fogandcopper

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 23, 2013
I have one named Nikki. She is 6 or 7 ears old now. I watch her and make sure she is eating and drinking. She is very friendly and jumps in the grain bucket 2 eat.

AmberRex

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
I used sloppy layers mash with Peckers but hers wasn't really severe she lived for nearly two years and then she just disappeared (maybe fox)
idunno.gif

VandyClark

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 14, 2012
Woodville, TX
Thank you all! It's encouraging to hear some positive stories (before foxes, of course- we have hawks here & have lost a couple). I appreciate it all!

The Hen

Chirping
7 Years
Aug 26, 2012
Leslie, Michigan "The Place To Be"
I have a scissor beak hen and compared to others BB's (bent beak) looks bad, but she does well. she is my avitar picture. I separate her when she eats so she can get her filling. I also give her a deep dish to eat from because she has to smash her face into it. she LOVES breakfast casserole. I had some left over and she devoured it.

some ppl have said to feed soft cat food. i have thought of buying her chick feed thinking that might help fatten her up.

I have also grown to love my BB.
love.gif
I wouldn't cull her either.

Top Bottom