Cross / Scissor beak

VandyClark

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 14, 2012
Woodville, TX
I've been doing a research on the cross beak/ scissor beak deformity as I have 10 wk old EE that was normal until about 5 or 6 wks old & developed the condition. From what I've read, it sounds like her prognosis could be ok for a while, so long as she can eat & drink, which she seems very good at so far! I know many cull these chicks but I'd already grown attached to her of course! I don't breed my chickens or sell their eggs- so no worries there. I'm trying to find more comprehensive advise on keeping her healthy & happy for the time she may have- does anyone know of a resource or thread? I'm just finding bits & pieces... She's also quite "flighty" so i'm hoping she'll get more used to me having to handle her... Thank you!

I had a crossed beak chick, named her Nemo. I fed her spaghetti noodles at first and runny cooked oatmeal. As she got older I made sure their food dish was deep so she could slide her whole beak into the layena. She lived to be a little over a year. She was a good hen. :D I have pictures of her on my page in the one album I have. :)

Last edited:
I have one named Nikki. She is 6 or 7 ears old now. I watch her and make sure she is eating and drinking. She is very friendly and jumps in the grain bucket 2 eat.

I used sloppy layers mash with Peckers but hers wasn't really severe she lived for nearly two years and then she just disappeared (maybe fox)
idunno.gif

Thank you all! It's encouraging to hear some positive stories (before foxes, of course- we have hawks here & have lost a couple). I appreciate it all!

I have a scissor beak hen and compared to others BB's (bent beak) looks bad, but she does well. she is my avitar picture. I separate her when she eats so she can get her filling. I also give her a deep dish to eat from because she has to smash her face into it. she LOVES breakfast casserole. I had some left over and she devoured it.

some ppl have said to feed soft cat food. i have thought of buying her chick feed thinking that might help fatten her up.

I have also grown to love my BB.
love.gif
I wouldn't cull her either.

Back
Top Bottom