Cross species sickness

Tcbish

Hatching
Sep 23, 2019
So I’ve lost a chicken, turkey and a duckling. Chicken was 4-5 months, duckling 6 weeks and turkey was 10 weeks. All 3 seemed to keep to themselves before they died, all have died within past two months. The duckling was put into quarantine and it throw up and had really smelly poo, it also had a seizure as it died. I noticed something was off today and it died about 10 hours later. Any idea what’s going on here?

So I’ve lost a chicken, turkey and a duckling. Chicken was 4-5 months, duckling 6 weeks and turkey was 10 weeks. All 3 seemed to keep to themselves before they died, all have died within past two months. The duckling was put into quarantine and it throw up and had really smelly poo, it also had a seizure as it died. I noticed something was off today and it died about 10 hours later. Any idea what’s going on here?
sorry tagging others as don't know enough about the other species, best thing you can do is double bag and refrigerate and send off to the state vet for a necropsy so you know exactly what is killing them , and let them know it is affecting several different species, it may also limit what it could be, but not sure
@casportpony
@azygous

There are many pathogens that cross species to sicken and kill them, including humans. The list includes E-coli, botulism toxin, salmonella, and even some parasites.

Since you've experienced what I'd consider catastrophic loss of your stock, I would strongly urge you to send a body into an agricultural lab for a necropsy as @slordaz suggested.

Unless you do this, you and we will only be taking wild guesses, and that isn't going to help you much.

Something else you can do is take a water sample in to your health department to be analyzed. Sometimes, if you are watering stock from a well that has gone heavily over to iron, bacteria can become a serious problem. Also, in many areas of the country, fracking has contaminated the water table and poisoned water supplies. Humans may escape serious consequences of bad water, but small animals will be killed.

Back
Top Bottom