Crossbeak Advice Please!

CoffeeAndHens

Chirping
May 8, 2023
Hello! I acquired a crossbeak from work the other day. She's been there about a week, maybe a bit more, and she's very strong. It's not severe, but I just need some advice on how to make sure she's healthy and eating enough. Up until now I haven't had to deal with special needs birds. Any and all advice is welcome!
Attached is some photos of my dear Tictac :) (Like tic-tac-toe, because of her crossed beak)

Attachments

• IMG_20230507_230033.jpg
    IMG_20230507_230033.jpg
    211.3 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20230507_230047.jpg
    IMG_20230507_230047.jpg
    264.7 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20230504_115548.jpg
    IMG_20230504_115548.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 5
Welcome to the crossbeak team, lol.:frow
I did something with my crossbeak Bella when she was little called crossbeak torpedo feeding. You mix up coconut oil, crumbled feed, in this case, chick feed, a little bit of chick grit, and egg yolks and you mix it refrigerate it and then you can use the hard mixture to feed her. I don't remember the measurements, but if you look up "crossbeak torpedo feeding" you should get a good video on it. I found the one by Kim's Nurturing Nest Animal Sanctuary to be the most helpful.

Welcome to the crossbeak team, lol.:frow
I did something with my crossbeak Bella when she was little called crossbeak torpedo feeding. You mix up coconut oil, crumbled feed, in this case, chick feed, a little bit of chick grit, and egg yolks and you mix it refrigerate it and then you can use the hard mixture to feed her. I don't remember the measurements, but if you look up "crossbeak torpedo feeding" you should get a good video on it. I found the one by Kim's Nurturing Nest Animal Sanctuary to be the most helpful
I'll have to check it out! Mixing eggs in seems like a good way to make sure she's getting extra nutrition. She seems to eat alright, but extra precautions couldn't hurt! My girls need some grit, so I'll have to pick up some chick grit for them soon

Back
Top Bottom