Crossbreeds (FFA project) please read

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by callmeRISH, Sep 22, 2014.

1. callmeRISH

callmeRISH Out Of The Brooder

Jul 6, 2014
    Ok so I have three Welsh Harlequins hens. 8 weeks old (I know they wont breed for awhile). For my FFA, SAE i had a brilliant idea (I think). Create an extremely versatile breed, like with the WH's egg laying and something elses meat,but i also want the bird to look good, like for showing. I was wondering if i could get some ideas for great crosses, the first one i thought was maybe like Welsh Harlequin x Hookbill. but i learned Hookbills are a lightweight breed so the meat wouldnt be there, but maybe do a three way cross like this:
    Welsh Harlequin= Duck A
    Dutch Hookbill= Duck B
    Duck A x Duck B = Duck C
    Then add a bird in for meat (Hookbill is for good looks) so say the bird is a Cayuga for example
    Duck C x Cayuga = Duck D
    DO you think that would turn out to be a good bird? If you think not could you add reasons why please, and maybe give an idea on how to improve that idea, or shoot me a whole new bird entirely( has to have Welsh Harlequin in it).
    If you like the idea give reasons why, and still give me ideas for birds please.
    I know the cross wont necessarily look like the parents to much but im willing to try. and i say showing because i know for many years it wont be able to show because its a mutt, but hey you never what could happen maybe someday i could standardize the breed. (I know im pretty hopeful about it lol).

Any and all help is appreciated.

~Rhys

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Can't comment on the project itself (hopefully someone with the knowledge to do so will be along soon), but I wanted to wish you the very best of luck. I hope you are able to make your SAE a success.

3. callmeRISH

callmeRISH Out Of The Brooder

Jul 6, 2014
    Thank you very much.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by