Crossed BCM x RIR with great results

Rm chickens

Chirping
Jul 10, 2021
I hatched some eggs from my Rhode island reds hens this past summer that were with a Black Copper Marans roo and the pullets came out very pretty and are now laying daily at 6 months. And to my surprise their eggs are as dark as my full BCM hens. I'll definitely do some more of this cross

I will try to get a few of the hens tomorrow, here's the eggs. Two of the eggs next to two from my RIR

Attachments

• 20211229_222801.jpg
    20211229_222801.jpg
    326 KB · Views: 154
I was very surprised that the egg were that dark. I'm hoping that crossing with the RIR that they won't be as broody as my BCM hens.

I was very surprised that the egg were that dark. I'm hoping that crossing with the RIR that they won't be as broody as my BCM hens.
It's not surprising at all, it's a well know fact that many of the brown egg genes(specially the ones from really dark eggers) are sex linked. So your F1 hens inherited ALL of those from their Dark egger sire. If you do the reciprocal cross(RIR Rooster on Maran hens) their eggs will be lighter

I hatched some eggs from my Rhode island reds hens this past summer that were with a Black Copper Marans roo and the pullets came out very pretty and are now laying daily at 6 months. And to my surprise their eggs are as dark as my full BCM hens. I'll definitely do some more of this cross
I'd love to see what they look like, can you post some pics?

Back
Top Bottom