Crossed Beak and Broody hen…😳 advice needed!

Thank you so much for all of this information 😊 I really appreciate it! I was scared of doing more harm than good keeping her alive, so this information is really reassuring 😅 she is gorgeous and has such a nice nature. I was about to syringe feed her before, but felt her crop and it was full :yesss: at what age should I start trimming her? And would a dremell do the job? It can be used on nails, it’s not an industrial one or anything.
A dremmel is what I use for my cross beak. Right now she needs a little more than the dremmel can do but usually the dremmel works just fine. I didn’t start trimming my Beakers until she started showing some signs of having issues eating. Even then her cross isn’t that bad and she can eat by herself okay.
78B115A7-2660-4508-8536-012338D4AA05.jpeg

Thank you so much for all of this information 😊 I really appreciate it! I was scared of doing more harm than good keeping her alive, so this information is really reassuring 😅 she is gorgeous and has such a nice nature. I was about to syringe feed her before, but felt her crop and it was full :yesss: at what age should I start trimming her? And would a dremell do the job? It can be used on nails, it’s not an industrial one or anything.
You can do it whenever, there is a bit that could be trimmed back now, but I wouldn’t bother doing it just yet, so maybe in about 2-4 weeks? Possibly longer? It should work, I think. This is the tool that I use-

Avid Power Grinding Tool

and I just put it in the lowest setting and grind away. So, if it is anything like that one, it should work great!

For your girl, there is just the tiniest bit at the tips that *could* be trimmed, but it’s such a small amount that I wouldn’t worry about it, you wouldn’t want it to bleed.
D392830B-3D22-4ACC-879D-48C48AC3BE89.jpeg

What I see^

A dremmel is what I use for my cross beak. Right now she needs a little more than the dremmel can do but usually the dremmel works just fine. I didn’t start trimming my Beakers until she started showing some signs of having issues eating. Even then her cross isn’t that bad and she can eat by herself okay. View attachment 3055068
She is gorgeous 😍 how old was she when you noticed her cross beak?

You can do it whenever, there is a bit that could be trimmed back now, but I wouldn’t bother doing it just yet, so maybe in about 2-4 weeks? Possibly longer? It should work, I think. This is the tool that I use-

Avid Power Grinding Tool

and I just put it in the lowest setting and grind away. So, if it is anything like that one, it should work great!

For your girl, there is just the tiniest bit at the tips that *could* be trimmed, but it’s such a small amount that I wouldn’t worry about it, you wouldn’t want it to bleed.
View attachment 3055070
What I see^
That looks very much like the one we have, I will probably leave it for a week or 2, I weighed her today on the advice of @NatJ and she only weighs 10.5 grams, she is such a dainty little thing 😍 would you recommend weighing her daily or weekly?

That looks very much like the one we have, I will probably leave it for a week or 2, I weighed her today on the advice of @NatJ and she only weighs 10.5 grams, she is such a dainty little thing 😍 would you recommend weighing her daily or weekly?
Aww, she’s so tiny and cute!:love I never weighed mine, so I’m not sure, sorry. I would probably weigh weekly though.

She was a week or two I believe. I have a picture of her as a chick but it’s harshly lit with red lights. She’s about a year and a half now though and lives in the house.
Oh wow she lives in the house 🤩 Have you house trained her? Lola’s crossed beak has only just started at weeks old. I’m praying it doesn’t get to bad,

Oh wow she lives in the house 🤩 Have you house trained her? Lola’s crossed beak has only just started at weeks old. I’m praying it doesn’t get to bad,
She has a soft egg issue I can’t seem to get under control. She gets special food and attention. She wears a diaper too. I finally found one that she’ll tolerate and is easy to clean. I also breed my silkies and had accidentally bred her already. Which I don’t want to happen again since cross beak is genetic. But I love her too much to get rid of her so I just keep her separated.

I weighed Lola again today. On the 8th she weighed 10.5 grams, today she weighed 12.1 grams, is this good weight gain or should I be concerned and feed her more?

I weighed Lola again today. On the 8th she weighed 10.5 grams, today she weighed 12.1 grams, is this good weight gain or should I be concerned and feed her more?
Do you know how much any of the others gained?

The rate of gain varies a lot. It is affected by breed and gender, as well as by age and I think food and season of the year can affect it too.

Comparing with the others can give you some idea of what is "normal" for healthy chicks of that age in your conditions (especially if they are the same breed and gender, but somewhat useful even if they are other breeds and/or other genders.)

Back
Top Bottom