Crossed beak and missing an eye????

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by UrbanMama, Nov 26, 2008.

1. UrbanMama

UrbanMama Gone Country....

Sep 27, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Now what? [​IMG] Does she need to be segregated? I had to remove her from the hatcher 'cuz the other chicks had made her mouth bleed. What are the chances that she'll make it? I've seen all the pics of the cute cross-beaks...but missing an eye too?

I lost one chick already this am...died just out of the shell...so I'm not feeling so cool this morning... [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 26, 2008
  2. UrbanMama

Sep 27, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I know this'll be the first request...

[​IMG]

3. baldie

baldie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2008
    Douglas, MA
    Awww the poor baby, and poor you! I have a pullet w/ a crooked beak, she was born in may and is still soing good, as far as the missing eye, I have no idea....that must have freaked you out. It wouldv'e freaked me out. Good luck, I hope she makes it.

4. magsrags

magsrags Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    Staten Island NY
    Ohhh.......I feel for you both.[​IMG] I have been lucky so far hatching. Only one little chick has an almost useless leg since hatching.... but at 5 weeks is getting tough enough to stand on his own so far. hang in there.

5. hatchaholic

hatchaholic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    South Carolina
    My Igor, who has a VERY crooked beak, is 14 weeks today. He eats fine. He gets on top of the food bucket to eat directly out of the bucket. Your chickie may be okay.

But, I will tell you this....Igor has other health issues. He has an "S" shaped neck and walks all hunched over. I thought he would be okay, but the older he has gotten, the worse his problem has become. I'm afraid that as he fills out, the weight will be more than his body can handle. Now, I know that I should cull him, but I've gotten attached to him over the last several weeks. The reason I'm telling you this is because I now know that it would have been much easier to cull him weeks ago before I got attached to him. It's never easy to do, but it gets harder the longer you wait. Especially because we get so attached to these "special" babies.

I'm sorry you have to go thru this. Especially after losing another one this morning. Either way, it's not an easy decision. [​IMG]

6. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    As your chick gets older you will most likely have to keep it living in its own pen. Most flocks won't accept a deformed member and will cull it on their own.

I have never seen one with both the eye missing and crossbeak live for more than a week or two. Eventually they do die.

I have found it is more humane to cull them early.

7. jjackm21911

jjackm21911 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 20, 2008
    rising sun maryland
    deffection in the chick idk what i would do

8. UrbanMama

Sep 27, 2008
    Massachusetts
    It was a very hard decision, but I decided to cull the chick. It would probably have died on it's own between the 2 deformities, but I didn't want it to suffer. It was an extremely hard decision...

9. thecochincoop

thecochincoop Chillin' With My Peeps

I had a chick with one eye and deformed feet. It could not walk when it hatched. I was going to cull it and when I went to get it it was walking around fine and eating. She lived with babies untill about 6 weeks old and then the flock accepted her. You might have to keep it separated longer. I wound up having to rehome her because her feet weren't developed enought to withstand the snow. I think that as long as it is eating, drinking and pooping then your little chick should be fine. Just watch it really good.

10. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    UrbanMama, sending hugs and good wishes your way. What a brave and merciful decision you made. Remember all your many blessings on this day of Thanksgiving!

Jenski

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by