Crossed beak chick,what to do?

Apr 17, 2022
Denmark
Today I noticed that one of my chicks had a crossed beak. I have never noticed it before and the chick is from july 18. The chick is acting normal, and eating and drinking. I guess that’s why I didn’t really notice because I have always thought this chick had a big love for food and I have never seen it not eat😊
Sorry for the bad pic, I took the photo during snack time so it has a bit of food on the upper beak.
What do I do about the beak?
Do I just leave it or can this be fixed? And will it affect its quality of life?
IMG_8941.jpeg

Unfortunately cross beak is not fixable. It tends to get worse as they grow too.

Many people have kept cross beaked birds healthy by giving a wet mash. It is simply the regular food mixed with water to make an oatmeal consistency mush. It is easier for them to eat it as they don't have to be able to.pick up pellets or granules.
It does spoil quickly so give what they can consume within 4 hours to.prevent spoilage.

It is hard to tell just how bad your chicks case is from the picture. If you can get a clear picture it will help.

Unfortunately cross beak is not fixable. It tends to get worse as they grow too.

Many people have kept cross beaked birds healthy by giving a wet mash. It is simply the regular food mixed with water to make an oatmeal consistency mush. It is easier for them to eat it as they don't have to be able to.pick up pellets or granules.
It does spoil quickly so give what they can consume within 4 hours to.prevent spoilage.

It is hard to tell just how bad your chicks case is from the picture. If you can get a clear picture it will help.
thank you for the answer,I will try and get a better picture.
The chick is right now eating both dry feed and wet but mostly dry I haven’t noticed any trouble but I will keep an eye out for it and have some wet mash out for them in case it wants to eat that instead😊

thank you for the answer,I will try and get a better picture.
The chick is right now eating both dry feed and wet but mostly dry I haven’t noticed any trouble but I will keep an eye out for it and have some wet mash out for them in case it wants to eat that instead😊

Be sure to not leave the wet mash more than 4-5 hours in hot temps.

I fed wet mash for several years for a cross beaked bird here and even though she is gone I still give it daily since my flock seems to like it.

That is a much better picture.

Since the chick is quite young yet I can see it becoming bad enough to need an occasional trimming as it won't wear naturally.

The wet mash will definitely help it to get enough nutrition and helps some with hydration.

Back
Top Bottom