Crossed Beak Hen - Suggestions for Feeder Design

TheSitcomGirls

Songster
9 Years
Nov 17, 2010
I have a 7 month old crossed beak Americana/EE hen. I have had her since she was a chick. She lays eggs and has a pretty full crop when she comes in at night. I trim her lower beak just a tad every two or three weeks. I have a deep water dish for her. She puts her whole face in it and is able to drink.

I feed her in a special dish twice a day...picture below....the problem is that she is making a huge mess with the food now. All I did was nail the tupperware to a block of wood so she couldn't tip it over. I have also tried making it higher by putting a half size cinderblock underneath...doesn't help. There is food everywhere!

Does anyone have a better idea for a feeder for her? One where she won't waste so much food? I don't really want to use a large pan as then she will poop in it.

Thanks for your help!

72121_sophia.jpg

Last edited:
I also have a cross beaked EE hen that I have had for quite a while. I was told to make sure that the crumbles are at least 1 inch deep so that she could get some food. I don't feed her from any special feeder either. Usually she is the first one to climb on top of the open top feeders while I am filling them.

Back
Top Bottom