1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Crosses What color eggs!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by OhioEggs, Jan 5, 2010.

1. OhioEggs

OhioEggs Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2009
    Springfield, OH
  2. Byrdj

Byrdj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2008
    Commerce, GA
    Both crosses will give you a productive green egg layer if your EE's have two doses of the blue egg gene. You will get both brown and green egg laying hens if your EE's are split for blue/brown eggs. The only way to know if a bird is pure for the blue egg gene or spit with brown is to test mate and see what color the hens lay.

3. BeardedLadyFarm

BeardedLadyFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Cobleskill NY
    Maybe this person only has these birds, but if I had my choice, I would use the EE roo, and some barred hens to make sex linked EE's.

4. OhioEggs

Feb 16, 2009
    Springfield, OH
    The person is me. [​IMG] I have that and i'm hoping for good layers out of this croos. I'll sell most of them.

5. BeardedLadyFarm

BeardedLadyFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Cobleskill NY
    They should good layers all around, with range of egg colors, assuming your EE's do indeed carry the blue/green gene. The chicks that hatch with pea combs will be most likely to lay the green eggs.

6. OhioEggs

Feb 16, 2009
    Springfield, OH
    thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by