crossing my fingers, toes, legs, eyes!

cgjsmith

Songster
12 Years
Mar 6, 2007
tennessee
One of my banties is setting (ms. cackle from mrs. Jaynie) after piling up eggs for almost two weeks she is finally setting on them. I've got to find another nest though cause the other hens just get up there and lay an egg on her. Hopefully she will stay there though. Crystal

Oh how fun, good luck. Aren't hens funny? Several of mine think they all have to use the same nest when there are 5 others right beside it. They will try and get into the same nest to have three of them laying at the same time...funny girls!

You'll probably also need to put wire or something around her nest so the others won't keep laying there. Once they find a favorite nest they don't like to move.
lol.png
Of course you'll have to let her take a brake from time to time.

Yippy, Is Miss Cackle, the little buff with the brown lacing? I called her Chipper. She is an excellent mama. She hatched out three broods for me last year and she is very trusting. I always offer special food by hand when they are broody and she just looks so appreciative when I would offer her something. I am sure she will hatch you out some nice little chicks. Perfect, she know the ropes.

Yes it is chipper We called her mrs cackle to go with mr frizzle cause shes always cackling at him ha ha. Shes set for an entire day now i'm not sure if she is getting food and water though and not sure how to get it for her. Crystal

She will get up and leave the nest for 5-10 minutes each day. She will make a very large extreamly smelly poo and strech and squak and shake and may even dust herself then back to the eggs and a simi trance. Just make sure she has access to the food and water that she usually feed from.
Congrats

Apparnetly the hens are taking shifts?? I just went down to the barn mrs.cackle was outside and one of the other hens was setting. I didn't think they would do that. I think I am going to have to build a couple of nest boxes to get them going the right way! Crystal

Good luck with that Crystal, hen have an obstinate streak and will want to nest where the others do. You may want to mark the eggs and check often and take any that are not marked. She will only be able to handle so many and then they get all mixed up and some get left out and there will be different hatch dates. All and All it gets pretty mixed up with other hen laying in the same nest. I have two more broodies as of today. A total of 4 setting and 1 raising chicks. I don't know what I will do with all these girls. I am thinking of setting up a maternity ward. and just moving all the broodies together in one part of the coop.

ROFL Mrs Jaynie what a great idea then i would have a maternity pen, a brooding area a nursery a teen pen a standered coop and abanty coop ROFL. My hubby would go nuts. BTW I've had 4 SF hatch and 3 Blue sizzles. When would I know if the SF mixed with the cookoo?(I think thats what you said they were in with.) I saw the funniest thing today the original SF roo you gave me got into a fight with a silkie his neck was bare from the feathers standing up. Crystal

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom