Crossing my Red Ranger Hens.

Pics
The Red Ranger is back to laying again. She stopped laying in Mid summer, laid 3 eggs in late summer almost fall, then stopped laying again. I was worried she stopped laying for good. She doesn't like her new rooster, the Rhode Island White. I am considering putting her with one of her sons and making 3/4 Rangers. Her first egg back came on my last day of collecting before my next hatch.

I have one NN, and thats the only "meat bird" i have. We arent butchering her, but we just have her for fun, i love her. Anyways, we prcessed 2 CXs a while back and it didnt go very well, alot of the meat got wasted, bc my family didnt eat it, and so the whole, raising and eating meat birds thing isnt for me, but I like you compost king so Im def followin this thread! Much that can be learned from here!

My family is almost disappointed when we have to eat store bought chicken. It fills the empty spot in the tummy but not as flavorful as homegrown.
I am done hatching for a while, letting the bator rest after this weekends hatch. Will fire it back up 3rd of December to hatch turkeys and Nn for my youngest DD's 4h project. Of course I have to have s few chicks in with the turkeys to teach them to eat so if my red broilers are still laying I will see about hatching some of their eggs at that time. Probably keep the incubators busy with turkey hatching through January and start ducks the first of February for the middle DD's project... I might break down and order in more Delaware so I can breed twords the SOP.... not that I will be showing them just want to prove to me that I can...
I am still waiting for my white Plymouth rock to start laying, I plan to put her and my light brahmas with my RIR rooster Ken to try for sexlinks.

My family is almost disappointed when we have to eat store bought chicken. It fills the empty spot in the tummy but not as flavorful as homegrown.
I am done hatching for a while, letting the bator rest after this weekends hatch. Will fire it back up 3rd of December to hatch turkeys and Nn for my youngest DD's 4h project. Of course I have to have s few chicks in with the turkeys to teach them to eat so if my red broilers are still laying I will see about hatching some of their eggs at that time. Probably keep the incubators busy with turkey hatching through January and start ducks the first of February for the middle DD's project... I might break down and order in more Delaware so I can breed twords the SOP.... not that I will be showing them just want to prove to me that I can...
I am still waiting for my white Plymouth rock to start laying, I plan to put her and my light brahmas with my RIR rooster Ken to try for sexlinks.

I can't eat chicken from anywhere else now. Not that big of a deal I actually do not eat much meat. I am happier with pinto beans than I am with meat. I had to stop processing my own chickens for a while because I felt like I was force feeding myself after eating 3 CX's in a row. Soon all those Dorking project birds are going to mature and I will be back to eating chicken. With the CX I had to process them or they were going to die on their own but with the Dorkings I can just go out and get one when I am in the mood to eat chicken and eat them at my own pace.

Back
Top Bottom