Crossing silkie colors

StepfordCuckoos

Songster
Mar 20, 2019
I hatched out a buff frizzled silkie and she (I'm automatically saying she but could be a he, not sure yet) is absolutely gorgeous. We had gotten these eggs to try and get a variation in our silkie colors. Currently we have black silkies, a splash (or paint?), and now a buff. I was wondering what you get when you cross some of these.

I hatched out a buff frizzled silkie and she (I'm automatically saying she but could be a he, not sure yet) is absolutely gorgeous. We had gotten these eggs to try and get a variation in our silkie colors. Currently we have black silkies, a splash (or paint?), and now a buff. I was wondering what you get when you cross some of these.
All chicks are “she” until proven otherwise!😊
Important to know if your splash is a splash or a paint as they are very different genetically. Splash is part of BBS genetics and a paint has one copy of dominant white and one copy of black.

If you have a splash you can breed this one to a black and you will get blue silkies.
If your splash is a paint instead, bred with a black will also give you about 50% paint and 50% black.
Buff will add leakage to the other colors, which can be pretty, but will be difficult to breed out again.
If you breed the frizzled silkie to a regular silkie, half will be frizzled and half will be silkied, assuming that your frizzled has silkied type feathers (a sizzle) and not regular barbed feathers (frizzle) which would give a different result.😊

All chicks are “she” until proven otherwise!😊
Important to know if your splash is a splash or a paint as they are very different genetically. Splash is part of BBS genetics and a paint has one copy of dominant white and one copy of black.

If you have a splash you can breed this one to a black and you will get blue silkies.
If your splash is a paint instead, bred with a black will also give you about 50% paint and 50% black.
Buff will add leakage to the other colors, which can be pretty, but will be difficult to breed out again.
If you breed the frizzled silkie to a regular silkie, half will be frizzled and half will be silkied, assuming that your frizzled has silkied type feathers (a sizzle) and not regular barbed feathers (frizzle) which would give a different result.😊
I agree, however I don't believe paints carry "one copy of black." I believe they can have any base pattern with dominant white which is just a diluter. So to my understanding, you can have chickens with one or two copies of this gene, but black is just what's underneath and the dominant white in addition. @The Moonshiner, am I off base? :)

The typical Paints have two copies of black with one copy of dominate white. You can add dilute genes like blue or chocolate to make various color paints.
You might get away with a paint having one copy of black and it still may look like a paint (especially a female) but more likely it'll have leakage that you don't want. Further more if you're breeding paints with a copy of something else eventually the other genes are gonna double up and ruin the paint pattern so basically having something else is gonna cause them to not breed true.
DW does great binding black and black dilutes but does next to nothing on the gold tones so if you have something besides two copies of black like extended black/duckwing then the gold tones of the duckwing will bleed through and the DW won't mask them so you'll get a sort of paint pyle look.

I defer to the experts, but my point was really that the OP needed to know if their bird was splash or paint in order to determine the outcome of the potential chicks.

I’m not sure- I was given her as a day old chick by a friend. Here’s a picture of her though.
0DB622F9-328D-4801-AC6A-ECEE9653992C.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom