1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Crossing White Leghorn rooster with gold sexlink?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Chickenlady1, May 26, 2011.

1. Chickenlady1

Chickenlady1 New Egg

May 17, 2011
    I ended up with a leghorn rooster in my group of hens. I planned on breeding him with a couple of my other white leghorns but does anyone have any suggestions or have tried crossing a white Leghorn rooster with gold sex link hens? I do not want to try it if it would make some funky chicken. If it would work I wonder what the egg color would be?

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I don't know what you mean by funky. All mine are kind of spastic when they try to dance. They can't follow the basic beat for anything, and they don't even try to sing along with "Funky Chicken".

What I would expect you to get is some chickens that are somewhere in between the leghorns and gold sex links in size, probably very good egg layers. If you want an egg layer, it would probably be a good mix. If you want a meat bird, you will probably be disappointed in the size. I'd expect a brown egg, but the shade of brown could vary quite a bit, even between full sisters.

3. Chickenlady1

Chickenlady1 New Egg

May 17, 2011
    Thank you for the advise. My chickens can't dance either! I just did not want some mutent chicken that would not lay very well. We tried breeding cornish X before and that was a HUGE mistake! I am just now starting to get into the breeding and wanted some advise before throwing different chickens in to see what I get. Thanks again!

4. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:Ridge, you know that a chicken has to have a little sole to do the The Funky Chicken
    This poor guy's Leghorn cross started doing the Chicken Dance

Chris

5. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:You should be just fine crossing the two.

Chris

6. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    I agree with the others, you'd get a good laying bird with shades of brown eggs. Gold sex links are hybrids, so it's a tossup what color bird you would get. The only thing is that you might lose the really easygoing nature of the golds by adding Leghorn. From what I've heard Leghorns are kind of flighty.

Hope that helps!

7. Chickenlady1

Chickenlady1 New Egg

May 17, 2011
    Thanks for the advise!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by