Crossing White Leghorn to Turkens

If the rooster has a fully naked neck, with no bowtie, then every one of his chicks should show a naked neck, no matter which hens he is bred to.

Breeding such a rooster to hens with feathered necks will give 100% bowtie chicks. Breeding him to hens that have bowties should give a 50/50 split of bowtie chicks and chicks with fully naked necks.

If the rooster has a fully naked neck, and the chicks have fully feathered necks, then something isn't right. Either the rooster's neck is naked for some other reason (feather plucking?), or the chicks have the bowtie level of naked but hatched with enough fluff to be confusing, or the chicks have some other father that is not your naked-neck rooster.

I understand how the genetics are supposed to work, but I haven't personally hatched or raised them, so I don't know how naked the chicks would actually look when they hatch. So I don't know if bowtie chicks could be mistaken for chicks with feathered necks.
If the rooster has a fully naked neck, with no bowtie, then every one of his chicks should show a naked neck, no matter which hens he is bred to.

Breeding such a rooster to hens with feathered necks will give 100% bowtie chicks. Breeding him to hens that have bowties should give a 50/50 split of bowtie chicks and chicks with fully naked necks.

If the rooster has a fully naked neck, and the chicks have fully feathered necks, then something isn't right. Either the rooster's neck is naked for some other reason (feather plucking?), or the chicks have the bowtie level of naked but hatched with enough fluff to be confusing, or the chicks have some other father that is not your naked-neck rooster.

I understand how the genetics are supposed to work, but I haven't personally hatched or raised them, so I don't know how naked the chicks would actually look when they hatch. So I don't know if bowtie chicks could be mistaken for chicks with feathered necks.
No !you can definitely be able to see the difference clearly.

No! you can definitely be able to see the difference clearly.
In that case, if the difference should be clear to see at hatch, maybe your chicks were actually sired by a different rooster?

How long were the hens with only that rooster, before you collected the eggs for hatching? Hens can definitely store sperm for a week, and occasionally for over a month (there have been a few other reports on here of hens that produced genetically-impossible chicks, where the chicks were actually sired by roosters who last mated with the hens 4+ weeks before the eggs were collected.)

Back
Top Bottom