Crow at 10 weeks?? Thought I had a hen LOL

Also, "splash" isn't a recognized plumage variety for the ameraucana breed standard. He would be called an Americana (deceiving hatchery trick name) or a Easter egger šŸ£ not that it matters, but some folks may want to know if breeding šŸ‘
No, splash does not mean a chicken is an Easter Egger instead of an Ameraucana.

The Ameraucana breed comes in Blue.
Breed two blues together, and you get some black, some blue, and some splash.
Breed the black and splash together, and you get a bunch of blues again.
Or breed blue and splash together, and you get blues and splashes.

All of the blue chicken breeds work this way. The splashes are not a recognized color, but they are just as purebred as their parents, siblings, and offspring that are recognized colors.

So there is no reason for a breeder to avoid Splash. Just don't enter them in a show.

(I do not know whether this specific chick is an Easter Egger or an actual Ameraucana. But the feather color alone is not enough to settle the matter.)

So there is no reason for a breeder to avoid Splash. Just don't enter them in a show.
Well it starts an interesting conversation.

If it doesn't meet breed standards, is it then what it says it is? If so, why isn't it recognized?

The splash bantam variety is.

Well it starts an interesting conversation.

If it doesn't meet breed standards, is it then what it says it is? If so, why isn't it recognized?

The splash bantam variety is.
Found it. I am wrong! But it appears to be a contested topic.

http://ameraucana.org/Ameraucanca FAQ

Further, even if a bird meets an Ameraucana standard breed description, but doesn't meet a variety description or breed true at least 50% of the time it is considered an Easter Egg chicken. By definition an Easter Egger is not a breed of chicken.
(Some have claimed that any variety that isn't recognized, by the APA/ABA, is an Easter Egger, but that is not true according to the definition above. For example, Splash and Splash Wheaten Ameraucanas breed true and are not Easter Eggers.)

No, splash does not mean a chicken is an Easter Egger instead of an Ameraucana.

The Ameraucana breed comes in Blue.
Breed two blues together, and you get some black, some blue, and some splash.
Breed the black and splash together, and you get a bunch of blues again.
Or breed blue and splash together, and you get blues and splashes.

All of the blue chicken breeds work this way. The splashes are not a recognized color, but they are just as purebred as their parents, siblings, and offspring that are recognized colors.

(I do not know whether this specific chick is an Easter Egger or an actual Ameraucana. But the feather color alone is not enough to settle the matter.)

https://amerpoultryassn.com/2021/10/large-fowl-splash-ameraucana-approval-process/

Some more info here. Looks like it will soon be recognized and this talks about what would be allowed in the variety.

For what it is worth, you'd have to see the spelling of the name. Americana and Amaraucana are pronounced the exact same.

We found this out attempting to breed some high end olive eggers ( which failed miserably in general). We have a local youth chicken club here and you are only allowed to enter F2's if the F1's are NPIP recognized. So you can breed a Rhode Island Red with a plymoth rock and use thei offspring to show, but you can't use that offspring to breed and show their chick - if that makes sense.

We attempted the enter the offspring of a Wellsummer and what we now know is an Easter Egger (not NPIP recognized) thinking it was a "Splash Amaraucana" and got disqualified. My son was devastated because he put so much effort into his prize rooster and his hopes were through the roof.

When we asked the hatchery where we got the splash from, they told us it was an Americana and not an Amaraucana. šŸ„“ I deffered the certification until after the show, which I shouldn't have done. Always check your breeds prior to showing - lesson learned!
NPIP is a test for desiese and not the club/organization that recognizes chicken breeds. The club/organization is APA for large fowl and ABA for bantams.

It does get complicated on what's recognized because breeders maybe working towards getting a verity(color) of the breed recognized.

NPIP is a test for desiese and not the club/organization that recognizes chicken breeds. The club/organization is APA for large fowl and ABA for bantams.

It does get complicated on what's recognized because breeders maybe working towards getting a verity(color) of the breed recognized.
Yes thank you, confused the alphabet soup. It's been awhile since we have tried that again.

The more I look at this evening, the more heated it seems to get between people.

I look at things with breeds a lot but superficially. I didn't realize people make death threats over these standards! Crazy!

Back
Top Bottom