Crow at 10 weeks?? Thought I had a hen LOL

Friskybinx

Chirping
Apr 17, 2023
Greensboro, NC
Happy Thursday! I have 4 birds still in question. My Splash Ameracauna and Olive Egger because their feathers are just confusing the heck out of me. I thought my SA was a hen, but this morning I was blessed with hearing 2 very pathetic crows from it. At 10 weeks?? Isn't that too early?? LOL

My Lavender Orpington is just like a giant fluffy down pillow, so I have no idea what I'm looking at here.

And my Pinta Pinta is still just a sweet shy little chicken. I look at their feathers every day to see if I can tell anything. How are you guys leaning now??

LO:
image2 (4).jpeg image1 (3).jpeg image0 (4).jpeg

Pita Pinta:
image2 (3).jpeg image1 (2).jpeg image0 (3).jpeg

Splash Ameracauna:
image2 (2).jpeg image1 (1).jpeg image0 (2).jpeg

Olive Egger:
image0 (1).jpeg image1.jpeg image2 (1).jpeg

I was thinking the pita was also a Roo. But the Ameracauna literally crowed in front of me so I know it was that one who did it 🤣
The Olive and Easter eggers can really be tricky until they do in fact crow. The OE has some colored leakage on the neck, and some other cockerel type traits so keep an eye on that one.

Also, "splash" isn't a recognized plumage variety for the ameraucana breed standard. He would be called an Americana (deceiving hatchery trick name) or a Easter egger 🐣 not that it matters, but some folks may want to know if breeding 👍

The Olive and Easter eggers can really be tricky until they do in fact crow. The OE has some colored leakage on the neck, and some other cockerel type traits so keep an eye on that one.

Also, "splash" isn't a recognized plumage variety for the ameraucana breed standard. He would be called an Americana (deceiving hatchery trick name) or a Easter egger 🐣 not that it matters, but some folks may want to know if breeding 👍
Yeah I’m keeping an eye on the OE, too. That chicken has had BEEFY feet since it was little.

I looked up breed standards and: http://ameraucanabreedersclub.org/gallery.html

So maybe I’m calling it something wrong, but I did get it from a local hatchery that breeds them 🙂. It would be real unfortunate if it wasn’t pure bred.

Yeah I’m keeping an eye on the OE, too. That chicken has had BEEFY feet since it was little.

So maybe I’m calling it something wrong, but I did get it from a local hatchery that breeds them 🙂. It would be real unfortunate if it wasn’t pure bred.
yes that link you have there will tell you all the recognized breeds.

For what it is worth, you'd have to see the spelling of the name. Americana and Amaraucana are pronounced the exact same.

We found this out attempting to breed some high end olive eggers ( which failed miserably in general). We have a local youth chicken club here and you are only allowed to enter F2's if the F1's are NPIP recognized. So you can breed a Rhode Island Red with a plymoth rock and use thei offspring to show, but you can't use that offspring to breed and show their chick - if that makes sense.

We attempted the enter the offspring of a Wellsummer and what we now know is an Easter Egger (not NPIP recognized) thinking it was a "Splash Amaraucana" and got disqualified. My son was devastated because he put so much effort into his prize rooster and his hopes were through the roof.

When we asked the hatchery where we got the splash from, they told us it was an Americana and not an Amaraucana. 🥴 I deffered the certification until after the show, which I shouldn't have done. Always check your breeds prior to showing - lesson learned!

Back
Top Bottom