8.5 Weeks Old - Thoughts?

Friskybinx

Chirping
Apr 17, 2023
Greensboro, NC
I'm still struggling to identify a few of my chickens and hopefully yall can help me! They are about 8.5 weeks old now. No one has tried to crow yet. I have seen some behaviors out of a few of them that have me leaning a certain way. If you think you know, can you please explain what you are looking at so I can try to learn and identify myself for the future? Super new to all of this and appreciate any and all help!

Ameracauna-
Ameracauna 1.jpeg Ameracauna 2.jpeg Ameracauna 3.jpeg

Lavender Orpington-
LO 1.jpeg LO 2.jpeg

Olive Egger-
OE 1.jpeg OE 2.jpeg OE 3.jpeg

Pita Pinta-
Pita 1.jpeg Pita 2.jpeg

Look like pullets except for the Pita! Hopefully you wanted at least one cockerel?!
I'm okay with having one cockerel for sure and my Pita is the sweetest. The Ameracauna is extra spicy and keeps throwing me off if it's a hen/roo. It runs around the coop like a little bullet (whole body parallel to the ground and just RUNS, LOL) and was squaring off with the Pita Pinta pretty frequently the first few days I put them out in the coop for the first time.

Look like pullets and not sure what Pita Pinta is, but 😍

I don't go at all by comb. There are like 9 different types of combs and those can be broken down by size. A red comb is a sign of a healthy bird with good circulation, not gender.

I'm looking at feather shape. Rounded feathers tend to indicate female, pointer feathers could indicate male.

However, a lot of it is a guessing game. All my birds turned out to be hens (6 barnyard flock). I do have one alpha female, however, who acts like a roo.

Back
Top Bottom