1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Crow Attack

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by D Kluck, Dec 11, 2013.

1. D Kluck

D Kluck Out Of The Brooder

Feb 8, 2013
    East Texas
    I have read on this forum where crows would attack chickens but I just couldn't believe it...in my 60 years being on a farm I have never seen it... Yesterday afternoon I heard our dogs barking and the chickens, ducks and guineas were making a lot of noise. I jumped on the 4-wheeler and rode down to chicken run and saw about 30 to 50 crows swooping down on the chickens...they had already killed 2 in less than 30 seconds and were attacking one more.. It looked like something out Alfred Hitchcock's "The Birds" movie. The crows were up in nearby trees and about 3 to 6 of them would take turns dive bombing the chickens... I shot several times with the shot-gun to scare them off.... Also I had to scare off another flock this morning... We have a lot of crows around here all the time but they have never attacked before.... it may be the unusual cold weather we are having that has them crazy......

Now I am believer, crows will attack and kill chickens.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
  2. One Chick Two

One Chick Two Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2013
    Oh no! Such a truly awful thing to happen! I am so sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

Am so very glad to hear that you were nearby, and saved the third girl, and possibly, many of the other girls as well. So horrifying to think about these predators working in groups!

We've had two raven attacks too, the last one just last week. It is devastating when this happens. I cried for an hour the first attack as the chicken was my favorite pullet. I saw the attack happen, but was too far away to do anything to stop it. One divebomb, and I ran up, then the raven flew off... our girl had a broken neck. She was still alive for a few minutes, then passed as I held her.

Once they get a successful meal, they will be back. Hopefully they got scared enough to never return. I have thoughts to make a huge, false, stuffed "raven" on a stick with spring loaded wings that flap. lol

3. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    I'm so sorry this happened! My husband always told me crows will attack chickens now I know its true. hubby says put a dead crow on a stick and it will keep them away. Its a old farmer trick. Sounds bad I know but they do it all through our Valley to keep them off the crops. Best of luck.

4. D Kluck

Feb 8, 2013
    East Texas
    Thanks,...I think it was the extra cold weather we had recently that had them going crazy...

yesterday and today crows are everywhere as usual but they are ignoring the chickens...

5. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Wow, that's so weird! My chickens always defended against crows. Sorry for your losses. [​IMG]

6. D Kluck

Feb 8, 2013
    East Texas
    i know, it's very weird... all the guineas and the ducks ran from them too...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by