1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Crowing at 4:30-4:54am. Why?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickmomma03, Nov 5, 2015.

1. chickmomma03

chickmomma03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2015
    North Carolina
    Ok, seriously, don't laugh. My first cockerel, and he didn't do this before, he's 6 1/2mos. All of a sudden he's crowing at around 4:30-5am the last few mornings, and it's still completely dark out. I'm not going to open the coop at 5am when it's still dark because they WON'T come out of it. I DON'T close it until it's dark because the last time I did close before dark he decided to let me know how ****** he was at 4am. I get up at a very reasonable hour and open the coop (7am at the latest) and don't close until 7-7:30 even though it's already dark. In the summer it was later obviously.

I am NOT going to band him, de-crow him, or anything like that, but I'd love to know what piss bug crawled up his rear the past few mornings. I'm not enjoying the 4-5am wake up calls. I HAVE gone out and checked to make sure he's not alerting to predators too. Nothing, no hawks, no owls, no creeping crawlers like the neighbors' cats or anything.

Maybe he missed the time change memo? Ugh! And he doesn't just crow once, he lets out several, takes a break, and then lets out more. [​IMG]

2. Rod-T

Rod-T Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2015
    Deer park, Washington
    Have a light that comes on early ..that will wake him to crow

3. Rod-T

Rod-T Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2015
    Deer park, Washington
    Maybe he used to crow at 530. But with daylight savings time 530 is now 430

4. mymilliefleur

mymilliefleur Keeper of the Flock

Nov 4, 2014
    East Tennessee.
    That's normal. Roosters like to crow just before sunrise. I'm guessing the reason that he wasn't crowing before is that he is still young and just getting up to speed. Good luck with your flock.

5. chango

chango Out Of The Brooder

May 20, 2015
    New Mexico
    Chickens see sunrise almost an hour earlier than humans due to their sensitivity into infrared spectrum

6. chickmomma03

chickmomma03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2015
    North Carolina
    Quote: No light in the coop. The neighbor gets up at about that time to go to work so maybe he's seeing that.

7. DiamondSwan

DiamondSwan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2015
    Georgia
    My little rooster is 4 weeks old, still in the house, and and already crowing. He does it at 4:00 o'clock in the morning, almost every morning. He's got food, water, and 4 chicken girls. He continues to crow until I get up. They sleep right next to my bed, so imagine a little rooster crowing in your ear from 4 o'clock in the morning until you get up. It is very loud and annoying, especially a baby crow, it is a really, high pitched, squeaky crow. I just deal with it, I think he just wants attention, because he'll be quite if I let him on my bed with me. That just makes the other chickens start making noise though. [​IMG]

8. shortgrass

shortgrass Overrun With Chickens

Mar 14, 2015
    Northern Colorado

He's HEARING it. ;)

My roos s will crow at 1 am, 3 am, 2:43... Whenever I happen to be meandering in the yard... Usually snooping on a noise DH heard. They stop when I say ,"Just me, guys."

He's hearing your neighbor, and announcing to would-be-intrudet/predator, "Rooster, here, I'll kick your behind if you come any close to my girls."

;)

9. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Crowing at 4:30-4:54am. Why?

Because they can?

Not unusual, not necessarily because there's a 'problem', not because he want to be let out, they just (cockadoodle)DO!

Just ignore it if you can, eat him if you can't.

10. steve232

steve232 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2015
    North Carolina
    My chickens are far enough away that I can barely hear my rooster inside even in the daytime if theres no TV on or any noise. He has never woke me up but there has been mornings that I have to go to work early so take my dog out for her morning walk around 5 AM and I've heard him crow then. I do think they just wake up early anyway.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by