1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Crowing at 7 1/2 weeks? Come on!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by living2ride, May 14, 2008.

1. living2ride

living2ride Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2008
    Illinois
    Would you believe my not quite 8 week old Frizzle roo is trying to crow already? He is one cocky little cockerel too! He's always all puffed up and challenging the other chickens - even though he's smaller (and definitely goofier looking!) than most of them. I can see that that little bugger is going to be TROUBLE!

2. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    Some try as early as 3 weeks. Congrats on your Roo!!!

3. living2ride

Feb 17, 2008
    Illinois
    Quote:Really? 3 weeks? Holy chicken!
    I had no idea they'd try so young. With all my other roosters, it seems like I was waiting and waiting and waiting FOREVER for them to crow. I know my rooster from last year was about 6 months before he finally crowed. Lucky for him, because he would've gone for processing with my meat birds if I'd known! By the way, that little "trick" earned him the name Sneaky. [​IMG]

4. mmajw

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    Hope you are able to keep him. I have a difficult time getting rid of any of mine.

5. living2ride

Feb 17, 2008
    Illinois
    Quote:Oh yeah, now that Sneaky has a name, he's stuck with us. [​IMG]
    That crazy frizzle roo too - he's not going anywhere either. He's too fun to look at.
    Now that I'll have a few separate pens, the extra roos won't be too much of a problem.

6. WillsMama93

WillsMama93 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    Shreveport, La
    I love it when our little roo man tries to crow.. throws his head back and no sound comes out!! He gets so frustrated!

[​IMG] <~~ no sound coming out

7. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Drumstick crowed the day after Christmas at 4 weeks! I thought it was a dying something in the attic!

8. Peeps

Peeps Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2008
    Yep, once you name them it's really hard to get rid of them. 3 years ago I had a little black Cochin rooster bite me twice. I named him Crockpot, because that's where mean roosters go. I still have him! LOL

9. FrontPorchIndiana

FrontPorchIndiana Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Indiana
    Quote:[​IMG]

10. mmajw

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    Quote:Guess you should have named him Broken Crockpot seems he is still around.... [​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by