1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Crowing at the moon

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Featherwrangler, Jul 24, 2013.

1. Featherwrangler

Featherwrangler In the Brooder

Anyone else have Roos baying at the moon?
    The past two nights have proven to be very interesting. The extremely bright full moon has both my BA and EE Roos crowing all night. Except for a couple of short periods when it was hidden from their view by the trees and cloud cover. Yes, they are inside their coop, but they have 3 large windows, Regretfully my bedroom windows face them. This is when I am grateful that the closest neighbor is a mile down the road [​IMG]
    [​IMG]Mick BA
    [​IMG]Mack EE

2. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Songster 5 Years

Jul 22, 2013
    Kansas
    werewolf roosters?

3. Featherwrangler

Featherwrangler In the Brooder

I hope not, but definitely night owls.

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Yah, on the super-bright full moon nights, my roosters will crow. I THINK they are responding to a distant rooster which may not be in a coop; I step outside to listen and look for predators and I can hear the faraway roo.

They've held crow-fests before, during the day, competing with that distant rooster.

Mine also used to crow when I turned the bathroom light on during the night.... So I put "flameless candles" on timers in the bathroom so I didn't need to turn on the light. Nice ambiance and the roosters didn't get triggered into crowing when I went potty during the night.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: