Crowing Australorp Hen or Rooster??

My bird is around 4 month old, thanks. Just hope she is a hen... I suppose I just have to wait a bit longer to find out

The bird is only 4 months old just poised to grow out the feathers/wattles and comb to indicate sex 100%. It will be several more months before it lays eggs to indicate it's a pullet. At this point it's difficult to tell with 100% accuracy if it's a roo or pullet. Give it another 2 months and then post more pics of the bird in question. By then feather development as well as wattle/comb growth will point to what it is. : ) The reason we are saying roo is because out of all the factors at this age which would indicate it's a roo the crowing and shiny green coloring and slight indication of pointed hackle/saddle feathers point more roo than pullet but it's mostly the crowing that's pointing roo. At one time I had 3 juvenile roos in my flock. Only the dominant one ever crowed. When I removed the dominant roo from the flock for a few hours the less dominant ones both crowed. That may be the case with your flock right now. Only time will tell what is what.

Last edited:
I am new to Backyard Chickens and I'm wondering whether I have an Australorp cockrel or hen. It appears to be crowing now so that may be that but it is still very young (hatch date February 16 2014). If I do have a rooster, I was wondering how vocal they are generally speaking. I understand that they are individuals and not cookie cutter beings.

I am new to Backyard Chickens and I'm wondering whether I have an Australorp cockrel or hen. It appears to be crowing now so that may be that but it is still very young (hatch date February 16 2014). If I do have a rooster, I was wondering how vocal they are generally speaking. I understand that they are individuals and not cookie cutter beings.

Hi and welcome!

I would start your own thread in the "What breed/gender" forum and include some pictures of the bird in question - having your own thread will help assure that people are looking at your bird when responding with their gender input and will also help generate more traffic for you than tagging it along on this thread.

Yeah definitely looks roosterish. I've got 2 probably little younger there 9 weeks. One blue and one black and a black pullet. Its a lot easier to sex roosters when you know there's a definite pullet with them. Well one has started to try and crow. I have one huge question what age do australorps start crowing.and I've got mine eating pullet grower. And they are maturing more faster with looks more than growth.is that normal. Will they grow in size later on.

Back
Top Bottom