Crowing golden sebright hen

Catfishingpokey

Songster
11 Years
Oct 5, 2008
Albany, Tx
For about a week and a half I have been hearing an odd sounding crow. It sounded like a juvenile male rooster. We've got a golden sebright hen that sat and hatched out a dozen eggs, and we moved her and the baby birds outside the main chicken run. I thought one of the hatchlings was already starting to crow. Turns out it's Anne, the mama bird!!! We have a sebright rooster, Henry the 8th, on premisis, as well as a big, red roo, so it's not like she is doing it due to lack of other roosters. Little girl has gotten better and better at her crow. Not as good as the boys, but anyone who didn't know better would swear it was a rooster crowing. I haven't gotten her "on film" yet but I will probably try to get her recorded.

I just thought it was amusing and wanted to share. As I saw in some of the other posts about crowing hens, chickens are, indeed, CRAZY!!!!!

Kim (on Pokey's account)

My 8 month old Sebright hen also crows. I also have two other roosters who crow. I can't explain her motivation other than she is the dominate bird in the flock. Is your Sebright at the top of the pecking order in your flock?

My Grandmother always said "A whistling woman and a crowing hen always come to some bad end." Grandma would chop thier heads off as soon as she found a crowing hen. Mom said she would not let any of the girls whisle? I guess she was old fashioned. LOL
lol.png
wink.png

Quote:
My neighbor told me her Sebright hen that is raising a family crowed yesterday and my daughter told me recently that her sebright pullet is crowing. The bit about the whisling girl and the crowing hen saying is concerning.

I have an 9 week old Ameraucana pullet that is making a noise that sounds suspiciously like she's trying to crow. Yesterday morning at 6 a.m. she jumped up on the ramp, stretched her neck, fluffed her wings a bit, and let out an er-errr honking noise. She may end up being a he. I bought her from the pullet section at Family Farm and Home but maybe the chicken sexer was having an off day? Time will tell.
I also have a 4 1/2 month old Ameraucana pullet who's tail looks like it's shaped differently than the other 2 pullets purchased at the same time. She's more aggressive than the other two (with the other chickens - they are all still pretty good with me, though she's a bit more flighty than the other 2). She goes after the 6 younger pullets, too. She may just be trying to establish dominance. She chases them and will give the odd peck at one or another then back off. I have a divided coop that gives the younger, smaller chicks an area to escape the larger ones if they get too aggressive. Plus, the younger ones are still on the medicated feed for another month - since the older ones should start laying any day (hopefully - my isa's started laying at 4 1/2 months) I don't want them on the medicated feed at all.

Back
Top Bottom