Crowing hen, anyone? Experts, please confirm she IS a hen please?

thndrdancr

Songster
12 Years
Mar 30, 2007
Belleville, Kansas
Well, it could only happen to me. We were eating breakfast this morn and heard a "crow". We only have the two hens. Ran out and the hen that isnt laying yet, my silly neurotic Fussy, was sitting on top of her roost, and crowed three times.

Now, anyone else with a crowing hen, do they ever lay? I noticed her comb grew almost overnight just the other day, and was thinkin, man...she is lookin more roosterish, whats goin on? She is definitely a HEN, no mistaking that...but..now what? Our city doesnt allow roo's, but it doesnt say a thing bout a crowin hen...

I guess I shouldnt have whistled so much when I was young....
lol.png
lol.png

This got buried, so am bumpin it up to see if anyone else has a crowin hen. I remember SC saying she had one, and she said she never laid but one egg all her life, I sure hope I didnt spend all my heart lovin on this silly girl and have to get rid of her, it would break my heart.
sad.png

Last edited:
I can't help you with the crowing hen part but Spotted will jump in I'm sure...she knows...

I just wanted to tell you my mom use to say that saying about a cackling hen all the time when I was growing up when I would whistle!!...girls were not suppose to whistle!!...
lol.png

A crowing hen will still lay. I had a hen that crowed and she was one of/the best layer for a long time. I don't think crowing has much to do with laying. She also had a comb so big it flopped over to the side.

I fought and fought for Slifer...I did a petition, and went to city hall too...
I had to keep her quiet or inside.
I would presume that the same would apply.
I also rigged up a muzzle so that if she crowed she wouldn't be too loud either.

Thanks everyone.

Sometimes I DO doubt myself, this IS a hen, isnt it? Just to make sure, double sure? Mom says she is not so sure now...lol

7-25-2007-085.jpg

7-25-2007-043.jpg

Her current coop...looks like I might have to keep it that way, oh heavens...Ignore the Red sex link, the Americauna is in question...

What are you doing, and why did you turn the light on in my eyes?
7-25-2007-011.jpg

ok, I am coming out and seeing what your eating.....
7-25-2007-013.jpg

7-25-2007-120.jpg

This one was taken day before yesterday...
7-25-2007-139.jpg

Last edited:
I just read in a chicken book somewhere that if there are too many hens in a flock and no rooster that females can take on male characteristics and begin acting as the "roo" in a flock. Maybe this is why she's crowing?

I thought she was a "she".
lol.png
I have also read about the hen taking the place of the roo if one isnt around.

I will let the experts confirm she is a hen or no, those pics were all taken within the last 2 weeks and she is currently 18 weeks old. I have heard weird noised from her now and again, but this was an out and out crow, albeit a sickly one. She was standing there, as pretty as you please, flappin her wings and crowin at the sunrise. She only crowed three times. Now that, I think we could handle, I wont curse it and say more.
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom