Crowing hen? *fingers crossed*

Anyone in north central FL looking for a very well-mannered EE roo?

So when do roosters start becoming aggressive? So far Chick is definitely the bossy one of the group but never attacks us, actually he likes to be petted. Is it possible for a roo to stay that way?

I'm guessing roo now. See those thin feathers that are sort of cascading down, near the base of the tail? Looks like roo feathers to me.

From a getting rid of it stand point, whats the difference between a crowing hen and a crowing rooster?? DO you have a town rule that does not allow roosters?

Unfortunately we're breaking the law even having chickens here at all (even though we have a big back yard) so having a noisy bird drawing attention to us is a bad thing. I know, I know it's pretty irresponsible to have chickens where we're not zoned for it but we plan on moving later this year to a more rural setting and we have a back-up property for them to move to temporarily if we get busted.

I would really have to learn more about having roosters if we wanted to keep Chick. Will he become aggressive? Will we find chicken fetuses when we go to make scrambled eggs in the morning? Most importantly, will our neighbors want to kill us (lol)?

It certainly complicates things. I don't know what to do.

Quote:
LOL... no you won't find fetuses. You probably buy fertile eggs in the grocery store now. They have to incubate to grow chicks. If you collect eggs every day, not gonna happen. Some roos get aggressive, some don't, you never know.

There's a great sticky at the beginning of the incubating section that shows how to tell if an egg is fertile.

You're on you own with the neighbors!

Thanks for your input everyone! It's not great news but I'm glad to know... Now to convince my better half that having a rooster is a good idea...

I bet he'll be GORGEOUS when all those rooster feathers come in! They're excellent flock protectors, too!
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom