Crowing hen? *fingers crossed*

KristenF87

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jan 5, 2009
Gainesville
Recently our 4 1/2 month old easter egger, Chick Corea, has started crowing. It's a very clear "cocka-doodle-doo" every morning when the sun comes up and often when we come out to the coop to say hi and feed them. I know it's far-fetched but I've read several accounts of rooster-less flocks with crowing hens. I'm posting some pictures so that maybe some of you more experienced chicken-owners can give me your opinion.

I'm clinging on to hope here, I really don't want to have to give Chick up and even more so I don't imagine it will be easy trying to find someone who wants a rooster who won't eat my baby! I couldn't live with myself if I caused the death of this sweet bird.

So, what do you think?

P4120060.jpg

P4120068.jpg

P5070019.jpg

To me, it looks more like a pullet - but, can you get a picture more from the side, a profile shot? I don't see any saddle or hackle feathers coming in, but that tail seems awfully long, and is it beginning to curve? If it's a pullet, it's close to lay with that red comb!

It's legs don't look awfully thick, either, which to me says pullet. With a side shot picture, we'll all be able to see better.

OH, I should have mentioned that yes, a hen will at times "take over" and act like a roo if you don't have one, but typically when they "crow" it doens't not sound like an actual ROOSTER crow. I've never heard one, but from what I've read, it's different from an actual crow.

I heard one of my hens crow a couple weeks ago. It was like a crow, but shorter and softer. So I guess it wasn't quite like a rooster. At first I thought a neighbor had gotten a roo.

Imp

Wow, I didn't realize how much she (or maybe he I suppose) had changed since a couple weeks ago when those first pictures were taken. Tail looks longer, but straight and her face is redder...

P6130111.jpg

P6130110.jpg

P6130117.jpg

Hate to break it to you, but that is a definite rooster. I thought it was a pullett from your first set of pics, but the ones you just posted show that saddle feathers. Look at the long slender pointy feathers just in front of the tail. They llok like rooster saddle feathers to me.

Back
Top Bottom