Hen Crowing???

Aug 25, 2023
Priceville, AL
My Coop
My Coop
So I got a hen recently from a friend of my moms, and she loves to sit on eggs and gets really broody. She has all the tendencies of a hen, but she crows along with the rooster! It's crazy, and her crows are definitely quieter and shorter. Anyone know what's happening? The roo mates with her, so I know she's a hen, but she just crows??? Very silly.

So I got a hen recently from a friend of my moms, and she loves to sit on eggs and gets really broody. She has all the tendencies of a hen, but she crows along with the rooster! It's crazy, and her crows are definitely quieter and shorter. Anyone know what's happening? The roo mates with her, so I know she's a hen, but she just crows??? Very silly.
I aould love to hear her crow - I think that would crack me up. I have heard that if they had no rooster, they take on that role, but I'm no expert. Do you know if she had a roo in her previous flock?

My hens do it too. One of mine does it because they are gender confused and the other is showing dominance.

My gender confused hen grew a big comb and wattle, quit laying, started crowing and mating chickens, and she thinks shes a rooster.
My other one is just grumpy and rude and crows and wing dances for dominance purposes (shes the grinch)

I aould love to hear her crow - I think that would crack me up. I have heard that if they had no rooster, they take on that role, but I'm no expert. Do you know if she had a roo in her previous flock?
She has always had a roo, the person who gave her to me has had roos way before she was hatched. I can see if I can record her crowing, she doesn't do it as often as the roo does!

My hens do it too. One of mine does it because they are gender confused and the other is showing dominance.

My gender confused hen grew a big comb and wattle, quit laying, started crowing and mating chickens, and she thinks shes a rooster.
My other one is just grumpy and rude and crows and wing dances for dominance purposes (shes the grinch)
She might be a masculine hen, she is less broody then Peanut and always tries to fight the roo

She has always had a roo, the person who gave her to me has had roos way before she was hatched. I can see if I can record her crowing, she doesn't do it as often as the roo does!
Well my theory is out the window! I crow back to my roo sometimes...never sounds as good as his lol. I guess if I was a chicken, I would want to crow too! The roo joins in on the egg song when the hens start up so why not join in on the crowing? 😂

I crow along with them as well, it makes me sound crazy!
These birds are so much fun - my family thinks I'm crazy because if I'm out there, I'm talking to them, singing to them (I find singing softly quiets them down when they are all fighting for their roost spots in the evening), and when I'm luring them back to the coop with treats, I run like a chicken - waddling from side to side calling back to them - run like a chicken! It gets them excited and they all run after me 🤣
Maybe I am crazy!

These birds are so much fun - my family thinks I'm crazy because if I'm out there, I'm talking to them, singing to them (I find singing softly quiets them down when they are all fighting for their roost spots in the evening), and when I'm luring them back to the coop with treats, I run like a chicken - waddling from side to side calling back to them - run like a chicken! It gets them excited and they all run after me 🤣
Maybe I am crazy!
I do the exact same things! I think we're both crazy :p

Back
Top Bottom