Crowing hen? *fingers crossed*

Quote:
Yes, but.... It's called caponizing. Used to be done to get larger chickens, but it is major surgery and you most likely would have to do it yourself. It is also illegal in some places, I understand. The testicles in a chicken are in the middle of the back; you have to make an incision in their back and cut them out.

Here's a thread about it:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=99494

Quote:
Caponizing is what the process is called but if it is you hope that it would result in a silent rooster I think you will be disappointed.

I had 2 hens (no roosters) and they crowed like roosters in the morning. AND they gave eggs. hehe. But ... your chicks tail is saying something else... idk

Last edited:
**edited to remove comment after seeing second picture - I jumped the gun when I wrote my first one. What a difference two weeks makes!!** Definitely a roo.

Last edited:
Wow okay caponizing is definitely not an option but thanks for the info...

Six this morning he was going at it for a good 30 minutes. My fiance and I don't mind the noise but I'm sure our neighbors will get fed up pretty quick so I am going to have to get rid of him
sad.png
Bela (An RIR and his better half) is going to be a very sad hen.

Anyway... I think you should keep him!

Lots of people on here write about their nice, well-mannered, friendly roos that like to be petted, held, etc their whole lives. There is no guarantee, but I think it's worth a shot. If you like him and he's nice now, then maybe he'll stay nice plus you'll have a great flock-protector! He'll look out for predators and warn the ladies. He'll also call them over to nice bits of food - it's very cute to watch. The crowing doesn't bother me at all, but that's a matter of personal preference.

And of course, eating fertile eggs is just fine and you won't find fetuses unless you let the eggs sit out for many days AND a chicken is sitting on them constantly (which won't happen unless you have a broody).

Go for it!! Keep him!!

Oh, I'm going to cry... I can't stand to get rid of him not just because I'll miss him but because he and Bela have never been apart. I don't know if anyone will be willing to take care of him temporarily for me but I would be willing to pay for the favor.

Bela and Chick:
P2120078.jpg

P2240102.jpg

Picture039.jpg

P5070019.jpg

Back
Top Bottom