Crowing Hen?

Aunt ruth

TheSpeckledBlonde
Sep 25, 2013
The South
Yes I know for a fact she is a hen. I have watched her lay eggs. Yes I know for a fact she has started crowing. Not a lot. But when she is really upset I have watched her do several legitimate crows. Complete with proper neck movements and everything. And no she wasn't yawning while a rooster crowed and it looked like her. I don't have a rooster. Is this normal?

Wynette

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
12 Years
Sep 25, 2007
Michigan
I don't know that it's "normal," but it's not uncommon. It usually happens when the flock doens't have a cockerel or cock bird, but I have had a hen crow (in the instances I have personally noted, they don't sound nearly as nice as a real cock's crow but it is CLEARLY a crow) in the presence of a cock bird as well. In each of the intances I noticed it in a flock situation, it lasted about a month and then she gave up.

They often will stop laying eggs, as well; since yours has continued to lay eggs, hopefully she'll soon stop. You should try to get it on video! I tried many times but could never quite catch any of mine.

Chicks Galore3

Artistic Bird Nut
8 Years
Dec 16, 2011
Iowa
I've had a hen try once or twice. After I got a rooster they stopped. Funny...I just came from a thread where someone said their for-sure rooster doesn't crow! Maybe your hen stole his crow.

Aunt ruth

TheSpeckledBlonde
Sep 25, 2013
The South
Her last egg was pretty soft. Thought she might have a calcium deficiency. Interesting fact though.

Last edited:

Wynette

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
12 Years
Sep 25, 2007
Michigan
I just came from a thread where someone said their for-sure rooster doesn't crow! Maybe your hen stole his crow.
gig.gif

Top Bottom