Crowing Question

amylu717

In the Brooder
Apr 5, 2016
So i originally had 7 cockrells, i had to get rid of 5 of them, including the top 2, I kept my favorite Elvis, i am unsure of his breed, americana maybe? anyways, when the others were still here Elvis would crow some, but not near as much as the top 2, the day we sold the others Elvis crowed some for a day or so, that was almost 2 months ago and i have not heard Elvis crow at all since that first week of selling the others. Is this normal behavior? We have 20 hens, and there is one other Buff Orpington that is a questionable cockrell...I've seen him do his thing once with a hen but i have never heard him crow either, but he is larger and tail feathers are more like a rooster so if i had my guesses i would say rooster. Any ideas as to why these 2 aren't crowing?
Here is a picture of Elvis this morning.

Last edited:
Elvis is gorgeous! He looks to me like an Easter Egger.

How old is he? Perhaps because you have removed the other 5 roosters, he doesn't feel like he needs to compete/ establish his authority with the other cockerel.

Whatever the reason is that he has stopped crowing, at least you will get a lie in. :)

Thank you, i think he is pretty! He is 24 weeks. He doesn't seem aggressive towards any of us, i know that can change at any point, but so far he has been mild mannered.

Some don't crow until older...could have something to do with the other loudmouths that are now absent.<shrugs>
Geez, you might be sorry you asked....now they'll both start going off all day long (kidding-haha!)
How old is the BO suspect...got a pic?
Nice looking setup, would like to see more of it.

Here are more pics of my BO and our coop/setup, excuse the muddy mess, my husband is working on building a walkway from the house to the coop.....Here is the coop and run

and my buff orpington

Last edited:
Here are more pics of my BO and our coop/setup, excuse the muddy mess, my husband is working on building a walkway from the house to the coop.....Here is the coop and run

That's a nice coop/run and pen area!
What are the dimensions of coop/run?
Pics of inside?
Curious as to your locale/climate also.
Must be hard to get in and clean...I sure wouldn't want to have to crawl into the run for any reason haha!

24x8 for coop and run is about 45ft deep and we have it divided down the middle bc under the coop there are two doors to the outside going to each run, so we can alternate sides if we need to but grass is growing so quickly we leave both open most days. As far as cleaning it out on the back side there is a large door that with a step stool makes cleaning out fairly easy. I will take pictures of inside in a moment. We live in Nashville tn so hot and humid is the climate
1f60f.png

It has these flaps on both sides to help with ventilation as well as in winter to shut and hopefully stay warm.

This is the big door to help make clean up easier, we also ran water and electrical out to coop so we could have. A fan in summer and hearing lamp in winter l... Spoiled chickens!
1f61c.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom