Crowing Roos

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SuburbanChickFarmer, Sep 27, 2008.

1. SuburbanChickFarmer

SuburbanChickFarmer Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2008
    I have a question for a roo expert. I have a Welsummer roo, who is 18 weeks old and has just decided to crow. Well, really he's not crowing he's screaming, kinda like a peacock does. Is this normal? My Light Brahma roo started practicing crowing at 5 weeks of age and was a perfectionist at 8 weeks. We didn't hear a sound out of the Welsummer until just this past Monday. My daughter and I actually ran out to the coop because we thought something was wrong. Do some roos just never learn how to do a traditional crow? I would think at his age he would have mastered crowing by now, it's a little late in my mind. Any help would be appreciated. Perhaps I just have a special roo, and that's ok too. Or maybe this is typical of his breed? Any wisdom would be welome! Thanks.

2. Sahara

Sahara Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2008
    Keystone Heights, FL
    I think the crowing is determined by the breed. Some are just late bloomers:). My Lt. Brahma started crowing at 18 weeks and was very low at first and now his crowing at 24 weeks gets louder every day.

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I agree with Sahara. I've also found that the lower ranking roos sometimes won't try crowing if the alpha roo is close by. They have to sneak a crow in every now and then when they think they can get away with it, so it takes them longer to perfect it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by