1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Crowing rooster???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by crooked stripe, Apr 2, 2008.

1. crooked stripe

crooked stripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2008
    N.E Ohio- Suffield
    As a rooster grows will his crow get better sounding? I have a 8 week old who crows a lot but at this time it is just a loud squawk. I am hoping it gets sounding more like a real rooster instead of a squawk. I sounds like a chicken being torchered. It is interesting as all the chickens are showing their individual personalities. John

2. LeeLeesFarm

LeeLeesFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2008
    So. California

I remember my surprise when one of my baby Frizzle hens started squawking out each morning ....
    it was the cutest little attempt at a "big boy" crow !!! Cute.

Turned out "she" was a "he" ..... yours will get his "crow" on!

LeeLee

3. cgmccary

cgmccary Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    NE Alabama
    He's very young. His crowing will get better with time as well as louder.

4. leokat75

leokat75 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2008
    My only rooster, Leonard, didn't really get his crow worked out until he was 3 or 4 months old. For like two months we just said it was broken, or he had forgotten the cock part of cock a doodle doo. It really sounded like he was choking at first.

5. frizzylizzy

frizzylizzy Out Of The Brooder

Oct 26, 2007
    My silkie rooster sounds like a kazoo. When he first started crowing I would bust up laughing every time. Now just the very end of his crow sounds like it. Bet you can't guess his name?!
    Yep... Kazoo!!

Elizabeth

6. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    My blue rooster from Dec. sounds like his is gargling with acid. He crows round the clock though so he must love his voice!

7. crooked stripe

crooked stripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2008
    N.E Ohio- Suffield
    He does crow all day long. I was suprised. It is funny how he fills up with air, streaches out his neck and puts everything into it. I love it, makes me laugh. John

8. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

I have a roo that sounded like a dying rat when he first started. Seriously... I thought my DH had caught a rat in his trap outside. Nope, it was Drumstick. He's sounding much better these days. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by