Crowing - time of day?

cjstanman

Songster
11 Years
Jun 3, 2008
Just north of Raleigh
My two BR roosters have learned to crow, and now they won't shut up, ha ha! Do roosters (once they've got it down) only crow in the morning? Mine crow from morning until about dark, just off and on, when they get the urge.

I didn't know if it is usually a wake-up thing or just " 'cause I can" thing, ha ha!

Ours crow whenever the mood strikes them.

For the most part it's only during the day-time but they also occassionaly crow at night when a car passes by, at the neighbors security light and they seem to love crowing at the Full Moon!
gig.gif

Dawn

My 3 Barred Rocks crow mostly in the morning and during daylight hours. But they get into I-can-crow-louder-than-you contests that have been know to extend well passed 3:00 AM. Luckily we have very tolerant neighbors!

I've not heard ours crow after dark, but then our bedroom window is on a different side of the house. For the last 4 months we've only had 1 rooster, so the crowing frequency slowed down. My alpha crowed alot more when we had an extra cockerel, which I had rehomed in July. (my hens appreciated him leaving too:)

Our neighbor to the north says he likes hearing them crow, which is fortunate because we have 2 other neighbors south of us who also have crowing roosters.

Oh, I miss the summer mornings when I would go outside and listen to all the roosters having their "conversations" with each other. They all have unique voices.

Petey (my rooster) and TopHat and Fred (Neighbor's roosters) starts at 03:30ish every morning. Kinda like having the three tenors everymorning
big_smile.png

Petey stops at about 08:00 but the other two blow off and on all day.

Mine start crowing as soon as they wake up. One EE roo and one BO roo have shouting competitions all day long. We just walked in the door from holiday shopping and bam, cockadoodledoo greeted us when unlocking the door. LOL

I've got one roo, a BR, and he starts crowing about 3 am and continues off and on til dusk. I have noticed the more people around the more he crows. I guess he's showing off or warning everyone! My sister-in-law wanted to know if he was normal because he crowed during the day. She even asked, "Doesn't his throat get sore from crowing so much?"
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom