Crowing

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Rocky Top Chick, May 8, 2009.

1. Rocky Top Chick

Rocky Top Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2009
    North Carolina
    Typically, when will a roo start to crow? I have 20, 8 week old chicks and no one has spoken up yet and I know I have some roos.

Thanks,

2. cityslickers

cityslickers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2009
    Florida
    You have about 2 weeks or soo before they start.. All start when they are ready... [​IMG] Just wait till you hear it mine sounded like bike brakes sweeking...[​IMG]

3. Rocky Top Chick

Feb 2, 2009
    North Carolina
    So I guess by me going into the coop and crowing isn't going to work? Yes, I have tried this [​IMG]

4. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    If it makes you feel better, go ahead and keep crowing.....

They are hilarious when they start, I love hearing them

5. ~*Sweet Cheeks*~

~*Sweet Cheeks*~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Olympia Washington
    My EE roo was 6 wks old when he made the first pitiful squack. Up to that point, I thought my ten pullets were pullets.

After the squack, I took a closer look and he was the only one to have a pea comb instead of a single comb.

He is really starting to perfect the crow at 11 wks. He will crow on his own in the coop when the sun comes up and then when I'm walking out to the coop, I'll say 'where's my little rooster' and he'll start crowing his head off.

I love hearing it as well. I have another EE that looks like a roo but no roo behavior so far. He/she is developing more of a rose comb.

6. Rocky Top Chick

Feb 2, 2009
    North Carolina
    I actually love the sound of a rooster. I hope mine start soon!

7. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    My huge, very much roo, 15 weeks old, boys only have one out of six starting to crow I think it depends on the breed and the individual.

8. ging3rhoffman

ging3rhoffman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Anytime you will hear your first crow. Mine will be 9 weeks old on monday and I heard the first crow yesterday morning. I went out to feed the horses at 6am and he let out 3 crows for me. It was so neat for me. My first chickens

9. Kezzie

Kezzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Coastal Georgia
    Mine just started this morning although I'm not sure you could call it a crow. It sounded like a cross between a goose honk and a donkey bray. It scared him and everyone else and then he just tried to pretend it wasn't him making that embarrassing noise.

10. lovin'mychicks

lovin'mychicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    Central Alabama
    My Black Ausalorp rooster did not crow until about 17 weeks. We will never forget the moment we arrived home from church. I put the keys in the door and a deep-moan came from the chicken pen. We were so proud. It took him a week or so to perfect it but now, he is the talk of the town!

Was it strange that it took him so long. We spend a LOT of time with our chickens and I think I would have heard him earlier if he tried. What do you guys think??[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by