1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Crows eating eggs

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Bev in Nevada, Apr 17, 2012.

1. Bev in Nevada

Bev in Nevada Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2011
    I have a pre built MPC henhouse, its worked great for the last three years. Until now, it seems that a crow has learned what the chicken egg laying song means and is going in the hen house and getting my eggs. I have 8 hens in this area, four lay in the morning and two late morning and two that lay between 4-6pm. So I can't really "lock" them in or out, and they all lay IN the nest boxes inside. Ive put lots and lots of shavings in the nest boxes and made a little "lip" type thing so they can't kick it out hoping to hide the eggs from the crow......thats not working.........any ideas other than me standing out there with my 9mm.
    I have two elderly parents that I have to go take care of each day along with having a son in school that I drive to and from twice a day due to the whacky school hours, so I really am not "free" all day to sit and wait for the *******.

2. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

You could have "roll away" features built into your nest boxes in which each egg that is laid rolls gently to the back of the nest box and into a pocket, there to await your collection. Most folks who have these don't use nest box bedding but usually have a piece of outdoor carpeting or some such on the floor of their nests.

Crows are among the world's smartest birds so this roll away had best be a good one that cannot be accessed after the egg rolls into a trough or pocket, except by you from the outside of the coop.

Here's a pic of some rollaway nest boxes someone built themselves and looks like the eggs roll to the front and under the board~ I think your crow would still get them there:

[​IMG]

Here's one of our own member's designs that may give you some ideas...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/287684/new-rollout-nest-design-picture-heavy-edited-1-21

And another cute idea:

http://www.southernagrarian.com/building-a-roll-away-nest-box/

3. Bev in Nevada

Bev in Nevada Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2011
    Thanks, I will look into my options on how to do this

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by