crows

My girls "Natural Instinct " is to watch the crows fly past, not hide or run. They know what a hawk is, and run for the provided cover when they see a hawk.
My girls also know the crows cry for a hawk in the area, and they definitely pay attention and look around when they hear the crows cry..
So i disagree , that chickens must experience a hawk attack to know what one is...

I have noticed my girls look up and watch the crows.When it is the hawk or turkey vulture over them they would run to a corner or hide.

I was worried about crows at first too but one day I went out to let the chickens out heard 2 crows being really loud then saw them take off from the tree on the tail of a hawk. They chased him away then came back to the tree. stayed for awhile to make sure the hawk wasnt coming back and left. So I say they are a good thing. Ive never even had a crow come into our yard just sit in the trees.

Crows have gone into my pen and stolen eggs (and even my rubber eggs...!) on a number of occasions, so I am not their number one fan!

Sandie

Yes...i've read here a few times that crows steal eggs and baby chicks, i don't doubt it a all. I know they also steal eggs and young from nesting songbirds as well..
Perhaps some crows prefer eggs and are just to hungry to resist. I've seen the particular family of crows near my turf always eating road kill. They look big and healthy, who knows why, they just never mess with my eggs or chicken feed. I have more trouble with my own chickens eating their eggs. I have 7 NH Reds that are about 3 yrs old. They have slowed down laying, but eat almost ever eggs they do lay...! I've caught them several times eating eggs. They are my first chickens, but i'm afraid it chicken soup time...I need there coop for new hens. My 14 sex links, 2 leghorns and 14 golden comets have been good so far...
Hate to do it but the NH reds have to go...egg bandits...! They have lots of calcium chips and laying pellets, they hardly touch them,they want eggs...!

Quote:
Heck, my chickens run for cover when the ringneck DOVES circle in to land in the trees. Now while the ringnecks have a nasty disposition, I don't think they are any threat to even the smallest chicklet, unlike chickens who would happily eat any fallen nestling or fledgling.

Back
Top Bottom