Crows! :\

They fly right by your ear and go snap and it scares the living day lights out of you
hide.gif
I bet... :(

String up pie plates on string parallel to the ground around 3 or 4 feet up over where your chickens hang out...The shiny ness seems to be disconcerting to flying birds. Messes up their landings...It might keep them away, Then again the ones you already have are going to know to land somewhere else and then walk under the pie plates, but they might not when they see them glinting while flying. It will also keep away hawks and such...most birds are against pie plates and the glare with the sun. It messes up them seeing the ground, so they avoid spots throwing off lots of light.
Thanks!! That helps! :)

I don't mind crows, but then again they have never attempted to compete w/ my chickens for scraps or food. On occasion several will roost up in the perimeter trees and do their kaw thing.

Crows are super intelligent. As others have mentioned, they love to chase hawks, can recognize the good and bad people in their environment, and have been known to exhibit behavior akin to mourning when one of their comrades dies.

My country boy neighbor said crows will steer clear of your garden and property if you hang a dead crow in plain view of the area in question. While I personally don't advocate killing a crow for no apparent reason, if you happen to stumble across a dead one, give it a try.

I don't mind crows, but then again they have never attempted to compete w/ my chickens for scraps or food. On occasion several will roost up in the perimeter trees and do their kaw thing.

Crows are super intelligent. As others have mentioned, they love to chase hawks, can recognize the good and bad people in their environment, and have been known to exhibit behavior akin to mourning when one of their comrades dies.

My country boy neighbor said crows will steer clear of your garden and property if you hang a dead crow in plain view of the area in question. While I personally don't advocate killing a crow for no apparent reason, if you happen to stumble across a dead one, give it a try.
Thanks

Maybe feed the scraps indoors.
I love the crows because they take down or chase off hawks and owls.
Werent for them I wouldn't have any chickens.
They also go nuts and alert me when raccoons and other critters come around.

Yup we have flying raptors all summer long and I think the resident pair of crows does a good job of warning them away.... All they do is land and pick at the dogs' marrow bones every now and then, they are easy keepers!

Hi everybody. I had read on here that crows would run hawks away. Well yesterday I was out feeding the chickens and across my back field (well over a football field away) I heard a commotion. It sounded serious, kind of a higher pitched growl that went on for maybe five minutes that I noticed it. I thought maybe the coyotes had found a baby deer but I knew it wouldn't take them that long to kill it so I thought maybe they had attacked a grown deer. Whatever it was I hadn't heard it before. It sounded serious and seemd to go on for a while. Then all the sudden came two crows over the treeline chasing a hawk! lol They were hot on his tail for a good ways before they let him go! I wish they had chased him further. I don't ever see those crows up close to the house, just way back in the field. I am wondering how to attract them closer to the house so they will keep that hawk that lives back there away from the chickens? Has anybody had any luck attracting them to your place? That was really cool to see. lol I do like hawks but not near my chickens!

Crows are eating the scraps for the chickens. Any ideas on how to get rid of the crows? :/  (These crows are really smart)

I wish I had your problem! My advise would be to keep the crows! As of yesterday I know for a fact that they do run hawks off. lol

You can buy a crow call pretty cheap. Then when they show up, be around and give them food. Once they know your friendly they will stick around more, especially if they associate you with being nice and having food. A lot of people are mean to crows and crows remember faces. Oh, just a warning, don't let them get in the coop. Some crows eat baby chicks.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom