Crud. No shell, Romy's puny.

Amiga

Overrun with Runners
12 Years
Jan 3, 2010
Southern New England
Well, duck friends, it can happen in the best of flocks.
roll.png

Romy has been letting on that she was about to start laying. But she's having a tough go of it right now.

I don't know if it's the occasional romance she has been having with Bean (who, as advertised, appears to be a gentleman when it comes to mating) or just that she doesn't take advantage of the free choice oyster shell, or what.

But she's going to be getting some TLC. Right now, I am able to get her to the vet, which I plan to do this afternoon. Checkup and, I reckon, a calcium booster shot and some neocalglucan. I get a sick edgy feeling, though, as I have lost at least two ducks to egg yolk peritonitis.

She is now in a tub of lukewarm water deep enough to float in. I will let her be in there, quietly, for about an hour. I do check in, and already she is doing just a wee bit better. At first, she just sat there. Now, she is beginning a few slow leisurely paddles back and forth.

I placed a few peas in the tub and on the edge of the tub. She passed a little mucus, apparently.

And after having spoken to someone who has had drakes (who live long healthy lives) as well as ducks for many years, I will be putting everyone on layer. Probably will aim to give Bean more non-calcium treats just to lower his whole dietary percentage of calcium to be on the safe side.

I hope the news is good when you take her in this afternoon Amiga, it's always alarming when one appears off. Your good to get it quick.. waiting to hear what the vet says..
fl.gif

Sounds like a good plan. Sorry you are having some problems.

I looked into the whole should drakes eat layer thing too. Where I am now, it would be WAY to expensive for me to feed Flockraiser or something similar. It costs almost twice the amount of my local feed store's layer. Once the ducklings are old enough, I think I will feed just layer, protein is good and though I have read that extra calcium isn't needed by the drake, even the experts say that it is near impossible to feed different types to the flock. Can you imagine catching or even just seperating your males every day to feed them seperately?

I hope your girl recovers quickly.

Oh no, that doesn't sound good. Amiga, I am still a newbie when it comes to laying eggs, so can you tell me a bit more about your situation? Just so I know what to look for. I have a young duck who was born last spring and has yet to lay her first ever egg. She and the drake are both on flock feeder.

Please let us know how the vet visit went. Keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Last edited:
I just started mixing flock raiser and layer together 50/50 still a little worried about my boys so taking it slow.
I agree it deserves some caution. My choice is just that, no guarantees. But after 8 years or so (at another duck flock) and no kidney-related health issues in the drakes, and looking at the troubles that calcium deficiency can cause with the girls, I am, at least for this pre-laying season, going to increase the amount of layer, and go from there.

Do what works for the flock and lets ya sleep at night, seems like the approach to me.

And I have many times cautioned people about too much calcium hurting drakes long-term. That is a concern.

Romy just said a couple of little words when I went to check on her. Has hardly touched the peas, though.

Last edited:
I hope everything works out well with your little lady.Hopefully the vet has good news.If all is well will you try to seperate her to feed her layer and oyster shell?

Oh no, that doesn't sound good. Amiga, I am still a newbie when it comes to laying eggs, so can you tell me a bit more about your situation? Just so I know what to look for. I have a young duck who was born last spring and has yet to lay her first ever egg. She and the drake are both on flock feeder.

Please let us know how the vet visit went. Keeping my fingers crossed for you.
Nebraskagirl, when I see a duck sitting down, breathing slightly labored, tail down or bobbing, sometimes with the tailfeathers spread, I sense that she's having some difficultry, probably with her egg-laying system.

It can be related to infection or calcium deficiency. And ducks can have calcium deficiency even when you give them layer and free choice oyster shell and a balanced ration. It is something ducks do differently. They are not all text-book cases, as we know already.

So it's a process of elimination, dietary support, TLC, gut instinct and when it can be afforded, vet care.

@jdywnter, thanks loads for checking in. I try to keep my brain engaged, as well as my heart, and this is not the easiest time of year for me to handle little health issues. Nothing that unusual, just some sad anniversaries, perhaps many of us have those. But, I love these ducks, they are a joy, and I will do my best by them. Time to check on La Rome.

Last edited:
Best of luck with Romy, Amiga. You are always right there with your kind words and able advice when the rest of have an issue with our beloved ducks so we are praying for you and Romy.
smile.png

Thanks, Carcajou, prayers are much appreciated.

She is chatting a little, now, passed some membrane. Let me go find that photo.

Update! Romy has started bossing me!
wee.gif

Her tail is up just a little (maybe still some abdominal discomfort). I nabbed the membrane to show the vet, though I doubt they'll really need to see it. This shows the membrane before she completely passed it.

Now I need to finish getting us all situated, but I will likely check in before vet time.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom