Cruel Behavior???

Momtofive86

Songster
Jul 2, 2019
So I have 3 Easter Eggers. They are all three laying now. One of the larger one's who has always been fairly nasty and aggressive pecked a huge hole into the back of one of the sweeter little gals. I am out of state but gave instructions on what to do. I told my hubs and daughter to clean the wound with peroxide and isolate her in a dog crate away from the other two. Only one of the two is aggressive. Is this the right thing???? These are my first girls and I am heartbroken that one is injured. My husband is going to the Grange-Co-Op in the morning for meds. They are closed now. Any input is so, so appreciated.

I would suggest cleaning the wound with something softer than peroxide like saline, then you can put some antibiotic ointment on it. The Blu Kote works well once it's healed a bit to keep the others from picking at it.
I would try multiple feed and water stations so the girls can keep their distance from each other if they need to.

Bullying can often be corrected by crating the bully for a few days in a dog crate, but still in the coop where she can see and be seen by the others. This gives the submissive girls a chance to build confidence and kind of knocks the dominant one off her high horse. One important consideration, however, is this: is the coop big enough for the number of birds you have? Figure a minimum of four square feet per bird of floor space in the coop. Some tiny coops will be sold as big enough for six birds when they will actually only hold two.

Also, in the run, figure ten square feet per bird, and be sure there are hiding places for the submissive birds. These should not be dead-end traps, but open-ended places like alleys the submissive bird can dodge around to get away from the bully. Only after you have tried these strategies, in my opinion, should you consider rehoming one of the birds or consigning the bully to freezer camp.

Good luck!

I would suggest cleaning the wound with something softer than peroxide like saline, then you can put some antibiotic ointment on it.
This^^^
Peroxide is OK for an initial disinfection, but it can destroy healthy tissue too.
Find out why the bullying is happening.....tight crowded spaces and diet are the number one causes.

Bullying can often be corrected by crating the bully for a few days in a dog crate, but still in the coop where she can see and be seen by the others. This gives the submissive girls a chance to build confidence and kind of knocks the dominant one off her high horse. One important consideration, however, is this: is the coop big enough for the number of birds you have? Figure a minimum of four square feet per bird of floor space in the coop. Some tiny coops will be sold as big enough for six birds when they will actually only hold two.

Also, in the run, figure ten square feet per bird, and be sure there are hiding places for the submissive birds. These should not be dead-end traps, but open-ended places like alleys the submissive bird can dodge around to get away from the bully. Only after you have tried these strategies, in my opinion, should you consider rehoming one of the birds or consigning the bully to freezer camp.

Good luck!
My coop is large enough for the three girls and their yard is 15X11. I am going to put Rosa in the coop and let her eat some humble pie for a few days.

This^^^
Peroxide is OK for an initial disinfection, but it can destroy healthy tissue too.
Find out why the bullying is happening.....tight crowded spaces and diet are the number one causes.
Their diet is pelts for laying hens, I give them oats, dried worms, and fresh greens. Am I not giving them a good enough variety? I don't give them oyster shells because their shells are so tough.

Back
Top Bottom