Crumbles or Pelletts, that is the question.........

Backyard Farmin

Hatching
10 Years
Sep 2, 2009
Upstate New York
Hi everybody, we just started using pelletts opposed to the crumbles they have had from the start. the feeder kinda holds back on the pelletts a little not to mention the flock doesn't really seem to care for the pelletts as much. they always look for bits of them to peck at. I did notice when the pelletts fall in water they love it. anyone think we should switch back or maybe mix the pelletts with crumbles till their used up? Thanks everybody, Rich & Tina

Last edited:
I wish I could find pellets other than laying pellets. With the crumbles the bigger bird just throw them everywhere. I think they'll get used to them. Give them time. I have an adjustable feeder and I let down the bottom a step for the pellets.

If their beaks are big enough, they will eat them, they might just be stubborn about it for a while. If you want to try and ease the transition, you can mix pellets and crumbles for a while. They will eventually eat the pellets though.

Thanks guys. I wasn't sure if they were having a problem eating the pelletts either. The flock is barely a year old now. We always get our supplies from Tractor supply here. I haven't seen any non laying pelletts either. Have you tried a feed store if such a pellett even exists?

I really prefer to feed my chickens pellets. They waste a lot less.

I normally give them layer pellets. Now I have young ducks. I don't want to feed them layer pellets. So I ordered waterfowl pellets at my local feed store. They can't get it, although it's listed on the back of the chicken feed bags.

Now I'm wondering what people feed their meat chickens. Surely not layer pellets? Maybe some kind of a broiler ration. Or flock raiser. That would probably work for me because my ducks are meat ducks, technically anyway. (I can't imagine eating one of the little darlings!)

So that's my thought. Flock Raiser. I know I've seen it somewhere, but have no idea what's in it.
tongue.png

feed around here is very limited. some stores carry just the starter/grower and the laying pellets, a few carry game bird feed, and then chops, scratch, or whole corn.

I stick with pellets....atm tho have to do the crumbles cos of the starter/grower.

But when they get older I wil go back to the pellets...my birds seem to prefer them, and there is much less waste!

I still using Starter feed for my girls 9 weeks old today. I was using a small feeder when I first got them as chicks. However, it was all over the place and there was a lot of waste. So I bought this 11 lb feeder at my local feed store because of the design of it I haven't wasted a crumb. You can hang it or as I do, set in on a couple bricks to keep it off the ground.

When I first switched them to pellets I made a transition by filling the feeder with a 50/50 mix of crumbles and pellets then as I added food to the top I added only pellets. When the crumbles were all gone they had made the transition.

Back
Top Bottom